Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2005, 08:54 AM

Default Re: How often have you busted out of a tourney on a resteal?

I spend all the time looking at your animation - what was the question again? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

- sunek
Old 10-17-2005, 09:05 AM

Happens to me a lot, but I rarely regret it. Much worse limping in and folding in these situations, then reducing yourself to nothing.

You did absolutely the right thing. A lot of people try the re-steal with hands that are very likely to be dominated. This is just the sort of hand to do it with.
Old 10-18-2005, 03:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You did absolutely the right thing. A lot of people try the re-steal with hands that are very likely to be dominated. This is just the sort of hand to do it with.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think this is a very misused/misunderstood concept with the resteal. sure, 89s is better than A8o vs. AK or AQ, but its not that much better vs. the reasonable calling range for the villain here if the stacks are decent sized (99+, AKo, AQs).

anyways, the point is, the situation is WAY more important than your hand itself. being 30% vs. his range really isn't much differnt than being 28-29%... and if the player is aggressive enough, and you haven't made any resteals that session, and probably will get respect, then 92o will be profitable even though you'll be only 20% if you get called. the bigger the stacks are the more you have to mostly look at the odds you're getting on the resteal, and the likelyhood that the player is on a steal. your hand itself is usually not all that important, unless its like AK, QQ or JJ where you probably aren't in that bad shape if you get called anyways.

the shorter the stacks get, the more important your hand becomes, b/c you'll be called way more often, so obviously the % that you'll win when called gets significant. but when he puts 1/5 - 1/3 of his stack in from steal position, A8- ATo is a fine hand, b/c you'll usually be close to 45% or better vs. his calling range. and of course on the total steals you'll still take it down.
Old 10-18-2005, 03:59 PM

Generally this seems like a good move, but you may have been trapped.

Was 2.3xBB this guys normal raise. Sometimes people miniraise with big hands. He may have put in a size raise that he thought you would think you could successfully resteal, since he wasn't pot committed.
Old 10-18-2005, 04:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Was 2.3xBB this guys normal raise. Sometimes people miniraise with big hands. He may have put in a size raise that he thought you would think you could successfully resteal, since he wasn't pot committed.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, this is a really good point too. if he's been raising alot with 3x BB raises then throws in a little one i'd pass on the resteal. usually most people won't ONLY do it with AA, but a lot of times they'll only do it with AA or sometimes as a bluff. so if they do it say 1/3 with AA and 2/3 with bluffs, then resteal is pretty bad. since you win 2/3, but then when you get called you're always up vs. AA, which sucks. and a lot of these people it'd be more like 50% AA(maybe KK) and 50% bluff b/c they don't have a very good idea of proper balance and game theory so they balance it in a way that allows a good player to easily pass on a resteal.
Old 10-18-2005, 07:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I spend all the time looking at your animation - what was the question again? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

- sunek

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL me too!