Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2005, 01:25 AM

Default Re: Possibly dumb question about preflop equity and potsize manipulati

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't raise anything as very few hands have much current value here. If everyone is on random cards, then hands like JTs - 87s can be raised for value. Against more reasonable ranges these hands lose equity since the top of the deck is getting played more then the bottom. Small pairs begin to gain more equity as you cut down on the ranges and run well hot and cold, but if you can't see all 5 cards then it probably makes it -EV to raise um up. If you can't see 4 cards by raising then it really makes it -EV to raise now (the aces are going to the river so you can flop a set and still lose but you have to sometimes give up a 5% or 10% chance of outdrawing the aces by folding). If making a raise here put you all-in then yes I would raise low pairs for value.

[/ QUOTE ]

This answer may very well be correct here. I'm not sure how it changes if jason_t isn't going to LRR, but instead will call. I'm trying to wrap my head around the question of whether or not I will be at more of an advantage or a disadvantage by bloating the pot here.

Rob
Old 10-16-2005, 01:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The same question goes for suited connectors. Is JTs going to be better for me than 87s here?

[/ QUOTE ]

ok, time to get serious

equity-wise against a random field, JTs will obviously be better, against AA, your going to have to make 2 pair or better to be good so theres not much difference, you have an advantage of knowing his exact cards, when you could eaisly have some suited garbage or a good hand, i think the advantages of raising are the possiblities of free cards, and tieing people to their hands so that they will pay you off if you hit, your not going to be able to buy this pot no matter what you do, if jason is LRRing your going to get charged the whole way so your free card value isnt much, the only postflop reasons i can think of to raise speculative hands is to tie others to the pot when they are drawing thin and to give yourself odds to draw to longshots, so rethinking it, i actually dont think there are many postflop advantages to raising your more speculative hands when you are surely going to have to pay 3+BB to see the flop and will not have the postflop lead

as far as equity, someone will plug in the numbers and figure out the right hands to raise with, for your postflop advantages, i think the disadvantage of having to pay 3+BB to see the flop that you will completely miss most of the time outweighs the implied odds you will be getting on the times you do hit

but i dont know what im talking about

edit: are you capping anything that you raise?
Old 10-16-2005, 01:30 AM

The pokerstove answer is suited connectors and maybe pocket pairs. SCs are 14% or so vs 7 random hands + AA (of a different suit). PPs are a shade better than 11%.
Old 10-16-2005, 02:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm just taking a shot at the fact that jason is clearly a nit who spends too much time in school and not enough time playing poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 10-16-2005, 02:59 PM

WTF are you doing on the internet- shouldn't you be waking up next to a stripper? Is she in the shower?
Old 10-16-2005, 04:09 PM

Default Re: Possibly dumb question about preflop equity and potsize manipulation.

any pp, suited connectors down to T9s, suited one gappers down to QTs, I'd start limping w/hands like AJo, KJo, QJo, KQo, ATo, A9o, A8o, K9s, K8s, Q9s
Old 10-16-2005, 04:18 PM

Default Re: Possibly dumb question about preflop equity and potsize manipulation.

[ QUOTE ]
I'd start limping w/hands like AJo

[/ QUOTE ]
Hoping to flop JJx or KQT, ya?
Old 10-16-2005, 04:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'd start limping w/hands like AJo

[/ QUOTE ]
Hoping to flop JJx or KQT, ya?

[/ QUOTE ]

No kidding. This is godawful. Why on God's green earth would you limp a 93:7 dog just because there are 7 other players in the hand?
Old 10-16-2005, 04:54 PM

[limp] A8o

Woah baby. This one has less then 1/4 the equity of small pairs and less then 1/2 of trash like 32o. The question is if this is a limp if Jason has AA and a .44 pointed at you.
Old 10-16-2005, 10:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm just taking a shot at the fact that jason is clearly a nit who spends too much time in school and not enough time playing poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Get back to your thesis.