Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2005, 01:14 PM

Default Re: Skilled LAG play?

I personally think TAG play is very effective at these stakes. Even if you play extremely tight, give up your blinds, and fold to turn raises all the time, you'd probably still get action on your big hands. This is the Internet. Many players won't pay that close attention to your play because they don't care or they're multi-tabling. If you suspect that people are taking advantage of your tight play, then you can adjust or find another table (there are plenty out there).
Old 10-14-2005, 01:26 PM

Poker is a game of people. Don't come to a table with a set game plan to play Lag or Tag. Come with a strategy to counter different environments. There are times when you will want to play loose agg and times when u need to play tight agg.
For loose aggressive play, you can play any two cards from late position if your opponents aren't call stations. There's no point bluffing into callstations. By playing a higher number of weaker hands, you will get more action on ur big hands. i generally will play Ax suited, Kx suited, all pairs, and suited connectors with gaps and the usual like AQ KQ etc. How to play each of the hands listed are a different story.
Knowing how to play Lag properly is important but realizing that you don't need to sit with a set game plan is more important.
Old 10-14-2005, 01:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Have you read Supersystem?

Playing "any two," and picking up pots when no one has anything, means you get paid off bigger when you actually make your hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

so which is it? if they fold too much how do they call when you have the goods?

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this not standard poker metagame theory?

They fold when they don't have anything. They call when they have the 2nd best hand, since they don't put the LAG on the best hand.

That's why your reading and postflop play has to be excellent. You have to be able to pick up the pots when no one has anything, and be able to get away from them when they do.
Old 10-14-2005, 01:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I personally think TAG play is very effective at these stakes.

[/ QUOTE ]

I totally agree. In general, LAG-style play just isn't very effective at lower stakes (especially online). There are typically too many loose/weak players at the table who will call your bluffs with second pair or river you with inside straights and weak flushes when you do actually have a hand. However, a strong player will be able to adjust his style based upon game conditions no matter what the stakes. Basically, TAG at a loose table and LAG at a tight table. I think the best way to develop an overall style/strategy is to start by mastering the fundementals and then molding your game into what's most comfortable for you. If you're not comfortable in a particular style you'll never excel at it. There are great players at both ends of the spectrum. The key is just knowing when to change gears when the time is right.
Old 10-14-2005, 01:59 PM

For simplicity sake say full ring. But I ask the question, in part, because I'm trying to learn 6 MAX and find the transition very awkward as a "traditional" tight player.
Old 10-14-2005, 02:00 PM

Did OP mention what stakes he is playing at? If your LAGGING it up at 50 or 100 NL, you'll get waxed. People call with anything and you have very little fold equity against most players. I think the ability to adapt and loosen up becomes more important when your playing at higher stakes, maybe 200NL and up on PP at least, but I don't play above 100NL much so maybe someone who is more familiar with higher stakes can chime in.
Old 10-14-2005, 02:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
..because I'm trying to learn 6 MAX and find the transition very awkward as a "traditional" tight player.

[/ QUOTE ]
I've avoided 6-max, but the thread below got me interested.

Six Max Baby Steps
Old 10-14-2005, 02:09 PM

I can see how TAG play is often correct but... I want to insure I can actually play. Winning is great, I like money, but I want to be a good player and not just a robot. A tight solid game is pretty much what I hae, thats the base I'm starting from. Now I want to add in the ability to loosen up as and when conditions change. It's not that I disagree or think TAG is wrong or less than optimal in the main, I just want to understand how a player can play a looser game successfully. What is good post flop LAG play? How do you get the most out of a hand that is good but far from the nuts?
Old 10-14-2005, 02:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Did OP mention what stakes he is playing at? If your LAGGING it up at 50 or 100 NL, you'll get waxed. People call with anything and you have very little fold equity against most players. I think the ability to adapt and loosen up becomes more important when your playing at higher stakes, maybe 200NL and up on PP at least, but I don't play above 100NL much so maybe someone who is more familiar with higher stakes can chime in.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't play about 100NL, but I think the advice might apply (somewhat) at higher levels. This is from a recent CardPlayer interview with Mike Matusow (you know he's playing high stakes):

CardPlayer: Let's finish up here by talking about online poker. You love playing online and I know you've had some big swings there, but, presumably, you're a winner in the long term. I'm wondering what you see people doing wrong online.

Mike Matusow: <font color="blue">They play too many hands</font>. The speed of the game is so fast that they think they have to play every hand. But the game doesn't change. The mathematics of the game don't change. <font color="blue">If a guy is robbing you blind, who cares? When you have a hand, he will pay you off</font>.

CardPlayer: Doesn't sound like you have much respect for online players.

Mike Matusow: <font color="blue">Online poker players are the worst poker players in the history of mankind</font>. I play against really bad players who just give their money away. Guys put in $13,000, $14,000 when they can't beat anything. Only online do you see that. That can never happen in a live game. I crush the no-limit online.
Old 10-14-2005, 02:10 PM

what about all the times when they call with the best hand because the lag doesn't have anything.