Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2005, 03:22 PM

Default Re: Hand 1: So Many Kings

Why not just bet this on the turn instead after he possibly missed a draw?

And when he calls? If I bet this turn, he may very well just call with his king as well as his flush draw and I still have no idea where I stand. I prefer to check this because I think that better defines his hand and keeps the pot small. If he bets, especially big, I think there's a great chance that I am behind. If he checks, I probably made a mistake giving him a free card, but the likelihood of him having a flush draw is much bigger and I can check the river and possibly pick off a bluff if he decides to bet. Comments?

Dumle
Old 10-13-2005, 03:24 PM

Nice post.

Dumle
Old 10-13-2005, 03:25 PM

Default Results

He had K6o and MHING.

Dumle
Old 10-13-2005, 03:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if he checks behind on the turn I half pot the river and fold to a raise.

I don't like that strategy. If he checks behind on the turn, I think there's a great chance that he is indeed on a flush draw and it is much better for me to check and possibly pick off a bluff, no?

Dumle

[/ QUOTE ]

Checking the turn shows a lot of weakness. Even a poor player realizes that. How do you know that your opponent will not bluff the turn with his flush draws to push you off of your weak hand, and check his kings to extract more value on the river?
Old 10-13-2005, 03:32 PM

How do you know that your opponent will not bluff the turn with his flush draws to push you off of your weak hand, and check his kings to extract more value on the river?

I don't. But if I bet the turn and he calls, I'm in the same situation on the river, with an even larger pot. If I check here I will again show weakness and he might try to push me off. What do you suggest I do on the river if I bet the turn and he calls?

Dumle
Old 10-13-2005, 03:41 PM

I would not bet the turn. I am responding to your contention that his turn check should be read as a draw. I would expect a lot of players to check behind with trips there. Even bad players understand that if they bet there, you will fold if you cannot beat a king. Some will check because they are passive, some will check because they love to slowplay, and a few may even understand that worse hands will all fold and all better hands will not. Regardless of their reasoning, many players will check there.

I believe there is merit to a blocking bet on the river, as few players will raise you on a bluff, and it may be cheaper than letting your opponent determine the price for seeing a showdown. By checking you are trying to induce a bluff, yet by doing this you are making your opponent play more correctly since they will now be betting against you with a mix of bluffs and hands that beat you. They will take free showdowns with small pairs that may have paid off a small river bet.
Old 10-13-2005, 03:50 PM

I would not bet the turn.

Sorry, a misinterpretation on my part.

I am responding to your contention that his turn check should be read as a draw.

I am just saying that I think it is more likely he is on a draw if he checks the turn, rather than if he bets. Even a bad player may be afraid of the flush-draw or possibly that he will not get any action if the flush card comes. Perhaps my experiences are wrong, though, I know they have been before. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

I believe there is merit to a blocking bet on the river, as few players will raise you on a bluff

I agree. I guess it really comes down to how often I think he will bluff the busted draw, compared to how often he will pay off with some pair.

Nice post by the way.

Dumle