Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2005, 05:28 PM

Default Re: FD turns weak top pair... Give me a line (esp river): RESULTS

Thanks for all the replies.

I think I like bet flop, bet turn, check-call 1 on river. Given that I checked the flop, C/R the bet from LP is an interesting thought, but in my experience a "typical" player at this limit (remember, this hand is "readless") will fold a Q exactly never (or at least not often enough for this move to be profitable...), even if a C/R typically screams that they're beat, and even if the turn and river come running clubs .

I generally lead flops like this; I'm not sure why I didn't this time (possibly b/c of multi-tabling).

The turn is probably a value bet based on my flush draw and the small-but-not-insignificant chance that I am currently ahead. The turn bet is also consistent with a made straight (J9o, AJo) that is afraid of the two flush draws on the board; this might cause some live 5-outers to fold.

I don't think betting the river into this many opponents has any value. A weak Q might call every now and then, but better K's and scared 2-pairs are most likely to showdown without raising. I can't see calling a raise without a good read on the raiser.

This is how the river actually played out:
<font color=" white">JerseyTom bets, BB folds, UTG+1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 calls.

MP3 shows QJo. MHIG. &lt;shrug&gt;

I think this was a terrible value bet into 4 opponents.
</font>
Old 10-14-2005, 05:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it was a very good bet. If you do not bet, they do not have to call.
Old 10-14-2005, 05:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it was a very good bet. If you do not bet, they do not have to call.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is like the easiest bet ever. i dont know what you mean. youll get called by a pair of 3s
Old 10-14-2005, 05:51 PM

Default Re: FD turns weak top pair... Give me a line (esp river)

Check raise the flop once MP3 bets, your hand is nice but you want to have a decent chance of winning with your pair outs. I know the pot isn't too big yet, but you don't really mind cold callers either. Leading the flop is fine too.

Since you only called on the flop and caught the king on the turn, I'd also go for a check-raise here. You want to slim down the number of players and hopefully you're now ahead of MP3. You still probably have 9 outs to the flush and 3 more weaker outs to the 7 if you're behind a better king or smaller 2 pair.

Bet the river. If you're beaten you're going to have to call a bet anyway as anyone who has you beat with probably bet, but if you're ahead you'll make most likely 1 or more bets on the river.
Old 10-14-2005, 05:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Given that I checked the flop, C/R the bet from LP is an interesting thought, but in my experience a "typical" player at this limit (remember, this hand is "readless") will fold a Q exactly never (or at least not often enough for this move to be profitable...), even if a C/R typically screams that they're beat, and even if the turn and river come running clubs .

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't need to be ahead, nor think MP3 will fold(you're right, he won't) to make this play correct.

[ QUOTE ]
This is how the river actually played out:
JerseyTom bets, BB folds, UTG+1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 calls.

MP3 shows QJo. MHIG. &lt;shrug&gt;

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm surprised you only got one call, I would have expected a call from a T or another Q in between you and MP3(who will probably still overcall)

But remember you don't even need to be ahead half the time you get called here to make this correct either. If you're behind you're going to have to pay off a better hand, and can rarely make money off a worse hand betting this river(you're not often going to catch someone bluffing the river into 5 people on this board)
Old 10-14-2005, 07:00 PM

Default Re: FD turns weak top pair... Give me a line (esp river)

[ QUOTE ]
Bet flop, turn and river. That's that.

[/ QUOTE ]