Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2005, 12:50 PM

Default Re: Play a Hand With the Masters #2 Flop

I think you have to make a continuation bet. First of all, you raised preflop and villain called from the BB. What did you raise with the missed this flop? Even if you had a an underpair or were semibluffing with a speculative hand, you would bet this flop. Since villain is in the BB, if you missed this flop, there is reason to believe villain may have also missed it. A check is suspicious.

Furthermore, another high card could easily make villain a straight. Right now QT, JJ, KK, an AA are the only hands you are behind, and villain would proabably have reraised with all but QT.

If villain raises I might push or might flat call hoping villain will fire on the turn. If the raise is for a good portion of the stacks, I would push, as I am somewhat worried about straights. If villain has me beat, he is going to bust me.
Old 10-12-2005, 12:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

What range of hands do you put the villain on?

[/ QUOTE ]

AA and KK, while in the range are not probable due to the board and Hero's hand. Could also include QQ-TT, AKs to ATs, AK,AQ with AK less likely or KQs to JTs.

[ QUOTE ]

Do you check or bet? If you bet, how much and why that amount?

[/ QUOTE ]
I bet 400, I have a strong hand and want to make some money off of it, but I don't want to give any free cards to a possible straight. (I'm guessing that 4th street tomorrow is going to show a T or Q), giving him 2.5 to 1 odds to call, not great if he's on a inside straight draw.

[ QUOTE ]

What do you do if he raises you? Based on whether you check or bet (and presuming if you bet he calls), what's your plan for the rest of the hand and why?

[/ QUOTE ]

If he raises my bet, I have to figure he flopped a set or a straight and as much as it hurts, I've got to lay down. Check raising an UTG raiser shows balls or a strong hand. If he calls, I'm also going to worry he has a set or a straight and check it down from there unless I hit a full house on 4th street or the river.
Old 10-12-2005, 12:55 PM

Since villain was getting 2:1, he could have a wide range. JJ-22, suited connectors, unsuited connectors, suited aces, medium aces are all possible depending on opponent.

My action depends on the opponent. If he is loose or over-agro, then I might check and trap. If he’s pretty solid and tight, I’ll just bet out.

Default play is to bet 425 here. If I’m reraised, then I’m not so happy, since I only see most making that play with QT, JJ if ahead, or AJ, KJ if behind, maybe also AK for tie. But top 2 with pot odds and some chances to improve means we’re probably going to get it all in.
Old 10-12-2005, 12:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Villain clearly has outs; I don't give him odds. The pot is a good % of my stack now, and I'd like to take it right now or to stack villain without having to see a scarecard first.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, what he said. I'm ahead now, most aces held by an idiot call this anyway, all two pair hands get it in, at least 11 cards either kill the action or my hand...I'm playing this very strong all the way down until something convinces me not to.

edit: What villain has is not particularly important. On this flop, either he's going to give action or he's not.
Old 10-12-2005, 01:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If he raises my bet, I have to figure he flopped a set or a straight and as much as it hurts, I've got to lay down.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why can’t he have AJ or KJ to make the raise? Why not another AK that doesn’t want to play a big pot out of position in the early stages?

Those hands are dealt at least as often as QT/JJ, and you have money in the middle already.
Old 10-12-2005, 01:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Furthermore, another high card could easily make villain a straight. Right now QT, JJ, KK, an AA are the only hands you are behind, and villain would proabably have reraised with all but QT.

[/ QUOTE ]

JJ may just call hoping for a safe looking flop before moving. I've seen people just calling headsup with AA/KK hoping to trap. If that was his plan here, he got lucky and hit one of the few flops he can really sucker us in with.

I'm betting this flop. Whatever bet looks like I want some action. If he's behind, I want to keep him in the hand. I think a smaller probeish bet will work here. 250-300. Something that makes him think about calling, but a bet that he may call with a weaker holding in this case like KQ. If I get check-raised, I'm pushing. No questions asked. I'm ready to go broke here. If I have the best hand and just call a check raise, and then he pushes a Q or T on the river I don't know if I could make the call. I think I have the best hand here enough to make a push of a check-raise the right play. I don't want a card to hit on the turn that will let him bluff me off top 2. And if he did catch a set of jacks or a straight, I can always suck out.
Old 10-12-2005, 01:06 PM

Villain had to pay 175 into a pot worth 425, and knows that he's OOP for the rest of the hand, so I'd go with: JJ-22, AK-AQs. I'd add some weaker aces and maybe KQ if he's a donk, or is thinking "I could bust gigabet!" If he's on QT, well Merry Christmas.

I like this flop (duh), and don't anticipate getting out of the hand without all of my chips in the middle. With the check, I'm going to take JJ out of the mix, as it is unlikely he's going to risk giving a free card at this point.

I'll usually bet t350 because I'm an ABC player, and I don't much like giving a free cards. 350 gives him incorrect odds to call if he is drawing to the straight and I don't mind taking down the pot.

The argument for checking can, however, be made. You are either way ahead, with villain drawing to 2-4 outs (AQ, AJ, QQ, TT) or way behind (AA, KK, JJ or QT, none of which seem particularly likely). Let him think you're on 99 or QQ, and you've decided to shut it down. Seems like a good situation to see if he'll bluff at the pot. The more I think about it, the more I like checking to induce the bluff.

If I bet, and he raises me...Pooosh. No way I'm getting away from top two pair with ~1000 in the pot. Alternately I could see calling, and get it in on the turn, 'cause you know he's going to bet.

If I bet and he calls...well I guess I'll wait to see what the turn brings. If it's a ten, well, hell. I might have to shut it down. If it's a queen, I worry, but probably go broke/double up. Anything else, all-in.

Edit: After reading the other replies I'm convinced that betting is the right move. If he raises...all-in.
Old 10-12-2005, 01:07 PM

As the BB, Villain got to see the flop pretty cheaply, so I would not be surprised to see AT+, A8s+, KJ+, 22+, even QT, QJ, and some lower suited connectors are possibilities. Especially if I've got an aggressive reputation, I'm inclined to rule out TT+ and AK, maybe even AQ, as I'd expect a re-raise from those hands.

Unfortunately, this flop is pretty scary for that range, so it might be difficult to get paid off here (I don't think I'm likely to be behind, so I'm looking to get as many chips in as I can). I think my best bet is to represent a medium pocket pair making a continuation bet and hope Villain got a piece of the flop. I'd probably bet 200-250; it's a very callable bet, doesn't give proper odds to a gut shot, and could represent an attempt to take down the pot cheaply on a missed board that Villain knows I know is likely to be scary for him.

If Villain raises, I call, putting him on a worse two pair as his most likely holding. A call could mean a lot of things, such as a pair and a gut shot, and he may be inclined to lead out the turn to 'protect' his hand. Plus, if he's got two pair or a set, there are miracle turn cards that could make him a low boat. Finally, in the unlikely event that Villain is ahead, I avoid putting any more chips in the pot without forcing him to give me more information.

If he check-raises and my hand doesn't improve, I'm calling down but probably not doing any more betting, absent a scary card or out-of-line play from Villain. If he check-calls, I'll make a larger bet on a blank turn, trying to look like I am buying it. If I make a boat, my bet will be smaller. If a Q or T comes, I'll check behind and call if he bets out the river- he may have a straight, but I may also induce a bluff this way.
Old 10-12-2005, 01:10 PM

I put him on any pair, medium/high ace, or two broadway. The overwhelming majority of which we are substantially ahead of and this flop could easily have hit him.
I like a nice sized bet here precisely because he may think his AJ, KJ etc. has us crushed.
I bet 450. Maybe 500.
Old 10-12-2005, 01:11 PM

I dont understand why everyone thinks Giga is playing under a recognizable name, he could be playing as "KimHung" for allwe kno. so i think that dismisses the idea that a player would want to bust gigabet.

I bet here, around 400 and like adanthar said ur either gonna get action or not i dont think a range is that important right now