Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2005, 02:01 AM

Default Re: lucky again ?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
In a big pot, the raise for value isn't worth giving Loose a chance to outdraw you.

[/ QUOTE ]

In position, this is true. But we're OOP, and when we stand pat, villain's going to break anything he would have broken to a raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree.... this villain will not break often, unless his hand is truly bad. I watched him stand pat against a 3rd draw re-raise with J high, if he is breaking, his hand is truly garbage. I don't like the raise here at all.

PS: When I read the hand the first time and made my first post I didn't notice the hand was short. If it was a fuller table, I'd dislike the hand a lot more, but knowing its short I only dislike this street.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 10-13-2005, 06:22 AM

But if he's never breaking and he's playing garbage, why not raise for value? I think everyone should say succinctly their line on the 3rd round and why they take it.

I think I already covered this, but if my take is a. incomprehensible, or b. chip spewing schadenfraud poker advice, I will abandon my convictions and flip-flop liberally.
Old 10-13-2005, 06:49 AM

I don't really object to your line; in most games and against most opponents it's probably best. In the 5/10, though, by and large the players (especially the donks) are more prone to stand on crap early, more aggressive, and trickier; that means you need to have the bet-3-bet when a card behind line in your arsenal. It's a very powerful line, and I think this is a good spot for it.
Old 10-13-2005, 03:21 PM

I agree with whoever said: the only question is how best to play the third round. I'd automatically just go for the checkraise. That doesn't mean betting out is wrong, but it complicates the game a lot. If you're betting out with 9's you need to also bet out with 7's. So, I think a checkraise is better as a default play, but betting out is certainly something that could be reasonable to mix up your play or exploit a specific opponent's weaknesses.

Don't worry about not understanding meta-game. It's a word that most native speakers wouldn't understand either. When we talk about meta-game considerations, we're just talking about how the way we play this hand will affect how our opponents play against us in the future. For example, if you fold a lot on the river, you opponents will bluff more in the future.
Old 10-13-2005, 07:27 PM

I like the way you played it. I think you can bet the river sometimes. A lot of players hate folding with a passion.