Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2005, 02:31 PM

Default Re: what next? NL books

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Getting Started in Holdem by Ed NPA (NPA=Noted poker authority) Miller

[/ QUOTE ]

Where does this book fall in relation to SSHE?

[/ QUOTE ]

GSIH is more of a beginner's book than SSHE.
Old 10-11-2005, 07:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Where does this book fall in relation to SSHE?

[/ QUOTE ]
for fixed limit hold em, I'm not convinced if GSIH is the best beginner book available. the 'learning by hand example' format is interesting and technically sound, but I think Winning Low Limit Hold Em (WLLH - Lee Jones) and Internet Texas Hold Em (ITH - Matthew Hilger) are easier to digest and fully understand for a complete novice, and may be better lead-ups to SSHE.

however, I do believe that Getting Started In Hold Em is THE best introductory book for No Limit and tournament play that a majority of newbies seem to be interested in, and there is virtually no close competition in that category. Despite close to 100K of limit ring hands in my experience, I am still a relative novice in NL and by far the Miller book has taught me more about that format that I could immediately put into profitable use.
Old 10-11-2005, 09:42 PM

Back so soon Jake...what happened to the 1 week vacation? Maybe that was OOT only [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 10-11-2005, 09:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Back so soon Jake...what happened to the 1 week vacation? Maybe that was OOT only [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

It was 00T only, and I did say I'd probably post occasionally just nowhere near my previous volume.
Old 10-11-2005, 10:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It was 00T only, and I did say I'd probably post occasionally just nowhere near my previous volume.

[/ QUOTE ]
[img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 10-12-2005, 12:07 AM

"I'm not convinced if GSIH is the best beginner book available. the 'learning by hand example' format is interesting and technically sound, but I think Winning Low Limit Hold Em (WLLH - Lee Jones) and Internet Texas Hold Em (ITH - Matthew Hilger) are easier to digest and fully understand for a complete novice, and may be better lead-ups to SSHE."

That's simply not true. GSIH is the clearest and simplest book of the bunch and will not let you fall into the errors that the others two will. It has a great selection of recommended reading as well. Ed Miller is not as stupid as he looks.
Old 10-12-2005, 01:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"I'm not convinced if GSIH is the best beginner book available. the 'learning by hand example' format is interesting and technically sound, but I think Winning Low Limit Hold Em (WLLH - Lee Jones) and Internet Texas Hold Em (ITH - Matthew Hilger) are easier to digest and fully understand for a complete novice, and may be better lead-ups to SSHE."

That's simply not true. GSIH is the clearest and simplest book of the bunch and will not let you fall into the errors that the others two will. It has a great selection of recommended reading as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

To be fair, I was quite sure that the format of the limit section would draw its share of detractors. I knew it wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea.

[ QUOTE ]
Ed Miller is not as stupid as he looks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mrs. NPA agrees.
Old 10-12-2005, 11:21 AM

i have started my (hobby) poker career about 3 months ago.
i have read GSIH and it is easiest non-fiction read i had in my whole life.
i am still wondering how you could fit that much easy to comprehend info into so few pages.
to top it the book was even very funny.

i have also read SSHE and i guess i would not have been such a good and easy to unterstand book without Ed Miller.
Old 10-13-2005, 09:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Ed Miller is not as stupid as he looks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mrs. NPA agrees.

[/ QUOTE ]

agrees to what? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-15-2005, 02:47 AM

What's GSIH and what is TOP?