Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2005, 06:14 PM

Default Re: Weird 10/20 hand

[ QUOTE ]
Raising the flop is just bad. You either want him to keep betting, or he has a hand that beats yours and will never fold. If he is a super aggro, then raise and call down a 3 bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he's super aggressive and I know that, I'm definitely either raising/calling down, or just calling down. But as I said, I had no reads.

Call down with the BB yet to act to the limper's bet? I'm either folding or raising. If it were heads up I might just call down. Perhaps calling and waiting to see what the BB did would have been fine as well, and if BB folds, I can call down from there. But if I raised and BB calls (or raises), I know I'm done. But again, with no reads, it's a risky/weak play to just call here, as you have no idea where you stand in this 3way pot. I'd rather raise with the ace showing in a 3way pot. In a WA/WB situation, I'm calling down only heads up. I was the PFR after someone limped. I must have a decend hand.

A lot of players like to donk the flop to test their 2nd pair or middle pair or whatever, and fold to your raise or slow down. I can't be sure he has an ace when he bets out like that. In fact, if he did have the ace, and I was the PFR, I think he's more likely to check and let me bet, BB call, and he can raise, or just call down if he has an ace with a bad kicker (if he's that kind of player).

I'd rather raise and fold to a 3bet on this dry board, spending one BB, than call down and spend 2.5BB when I'm not likely good. If he's bluffing me there, more power to him as an unknown. Showing my hand was a big mistake; I agree with you there.
Old 10-11-2005, 06:22 PM

You should raise to get the BB to fold hands that beat you, like weak aces. Folding to a flop 3-bet is a mistake because you're getting about 10:1 to continue to the turn. Folding the turn UI is maybe the best course given your lack of reads and a general loose sense of the table.
Old 10-11-2005, 06:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You should raise to get the BB to fold hands that beat you, like weak aces. Folding to a flop 3-bet is a mistake because you're getting about 10:1 to continue to the turn. Folding the turn UI is maybe the best course given your lack of reads and a general loose sense of the table.

[/ QUOTE ]

What implied odds do I have with the 10:1 am I trying to hit on the turn to make a call profitable? Perhaps the only reason I see calling here is for table image damage control. I'm 22:1 to hit my set, and if I turn a gutshot, I have nowhere near the odds to see the river.

edit: i'm on drugs, it's impossible to turn a gutshot here.