Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2005, 01:06 PM

Default Re: change of plans - no Sony 55\" LCD - going with 42\" Plasma instead

Did you get the free The Who DVD boxed set with purchase?
Old 10-10-2005, 01:10 PM

Location: it\'s like a puzzle with pans. if you think about it.

[ QUOTE ]

Yeah, hi def content on a sony KDFE42A10. I see pixels. Edges look jagged. It looks very smooth but still detailed from 12'. Maybe you need glasses? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
i remember seeing some tvs that were 'suppose' to be good yet looked really pixely when i saw them in some stores, yet looked fine in others. my bf looked it up online and read other ppl complaining about their tvs looking this way and that it had to do with some setting on the tv that could be changed and they just didn't have the settings right for best quality. i'm not sure if you are talking about the same thing though.
Old 10-10-2005, 01:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
as you may has surmised, television quality is a matter that is pretty close to my heart.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nooooooooooo.
Actually your recommendation of LCD was what got me researching those as a DLP alternative.

[hijack] How do you stand watching SD stuff? I went to this TV from a 27" Wega CRT which had about the clearest SD picture of any TV I've seen. I'm getting used to it, but if I'm not watching HD the pq still bothers me. Golf looked horrendous yesterday.
Old 10-10-2005, 01:17 PM

re your hijack: You get used to it.

I've found that the only SD stuff that looks "bad" on my LCD tv is live sports. TV series look fine, and movies can look really good, just shy of HD. Live sports however, golf, but mostly football and baseball when the camera is further away from the action, look quite blurry.

Fortunately, most sports I watch are in HD.
Old 10-10-2005, 01:21 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

i just take it for what it is, i guess. i really don't watch much non-hdtv stuff, which is to say i don't watch much television. there's nothing i regularly watch that's sd. i'll look at mythbusters, poker tv, the daily show, or that sort of thing occasionally. the digital movie channels are really quite good in terms of quality out here, and charter is rolling an upgrade so that digital subscribers receive all channels (including basic) in digital. should be nice.

the fact that 99.99% of the golf broadcasts are in sd is pretty disgusting though. i understand about viewership numbers on baseball/football, but [censored], golf is in an absolutely beatiful environment. it's criminal that weekend golf isn't in hd by standard.

and jesus, did i actually type 'may has'? [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 10-10-2005, 02:02 PM

Astro, do you know what the differences are between the 55" Sony RPLCD that whiskeytown was going to buy and the Sony RPLCD that you recommended (which I think comes in 55" and 60" versions)?
Old 10-10-2005, 04:12 PM

I have to send in proof of purchace and part of my receipt - but I will.

RB
Old 10-10-2005, 04:14 PM

actually, you nailed it on distance...I'm only about 8' from the TV - 9 if I lean back in the recliner -

I really needed something that showed SD tv well, since my cable company only has 15 channels or something -

I can make every price comparison and trade off in the book, but when I was in the store, my eyes didn't like what my pocketbook saw, so I went plasma -

RB
Old 10-10-2005, 06:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you're presented with the shitty choice between stretching 4:3 content so that it takes up the entire screen or blackboxing it on the sides. if you blackbox the sides, you have to balance your viewing if you're concerned about the black burning into the screen itself.

[/ QUOTE ]

My TV does something funny, the black bars darken and lighten based upon the rest of the screen - (I believe I have it set up that way) - so the bars don't black burn, per se -

it also has two features like a degauss for a monitor - and it has pixel shift - nowadays I would hope it's not a major problem...

RB
Old 10-10-2005, 06:45 PM

42 inches is small. I have 51 inches (Hitachi) and I'm itiching to go up to 70 inch (or get a projector).

You need a good size screen for aural immersion.