FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2005, 07:57 PM

Default Re: recording an album

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
We had 4-6 hours to do everything.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

What kind of band and how many songs are you talking about?

[/ QUOTE ]

5 peice rock band, only 1 song.
Old 10-10-2005, 02:49 AM

you see, this is why I built my own studio - so I could record in peace without having to pay for time - LOL

but then there are issues...

my issue right now is that despite my best attempts at placement, my snare mic is picking up so much hi-hat, esp. in quiet spots, that it almost overrides half of what we recorded today -

I have got to change snare mic placement - I may be able to salvage what we did today - I wanted to layer a bass and snare sample over the live hits anyways - if I can do that and sync it up, the sampled snare sound will probably be what I need.

RB
Old 10-10-2005, 01:45 PM

if your small tom isn't in the way, try hanging the mike off the bass drum or on that side almost like a cowbell. it's hard to get the placement but it works. or you can try bottom miking but that rarely works.

As for a good story, at 16 we were in a studio recording our first release and had some left over everclear (good ole 190 proof likker) which we were drinking with flat old diet coke we found in the regrigerator. Thankfully the producer saved all a bunch of our conversations after takes and before. We should have just released that instead of the cd.
by the way anyone who likes metal check out our latest here
Old 10-10-2005, 01:52 PM

Just make sure you have enough cowbell...
Old 10-10-2005, 01:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you see, this is why I built my own studio - so I could record in peace without having to pay for time - LOL

but then there are issues...

my issue right now is that despite my best attempts at placement, my snare mic is picking up so much hi-hat, esp. in quiet spots, that it almost overrides half of what we recorded today -

I have got to change snare mic placement - I may be able to salvage what we did today - I wanted to layer a bass and snare sample over the live hits anyways - if I can do that and sync it up, the sampled snare sound will probably be what I need.

RB

[/ QUOTE ]

You sure you have the right mic? Anyway, bottom mic is the way to go for sure. I recorded with two top mics and one bottom, and it sounds awesome.

Edit: make sure that the live hits are louder than the samples, or it will sound fake. To do this right, you should adjust the volume of each sample stroke to match the dynamic level of the live stroke...