Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2005, 12:19 PM

Default Re: stud hi - can\'t tell if I played this right or not

I think you played this one fine. I would usually raise the river myself, but going for the over-call is just fine. If you think that he'll call two bets with two pair, I think that tilts this one to a raise, though.

As for whether to pop it when it comes back to you on third, I think that would be OK, and you should make plays like that once in a while. In this particular case, however, you should consider the guy with the 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] showing. Let's say that that guy was Andy B. If I call a raise from an Ace on third street, my most likely hand by far is a three-flush. I usually wouldn't play 765 for a full bet in a short-handed game, especially with an Eight and a Trey gone. So it could be that diamonds are deader than they appear to be. The more liberal the 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]'s calling standards, the more inclined you should be to raise.
Old 10-08-2005, 04:24 PM

Just another thought, is raising 5th too aggressive? On 5th I think you still have >1/3 EV depending upon what you're up against.
Does anyone think one of the opponents has something to put him less than 1/3?
Old 10-08-2005, 05:48 PM

3rd st: I like the re-raise now that some hands have gotten trapped in there unless you think the diamind 5 guy has 2 more diamonds(Andy B). Even if A re-raises, the other ops will probably stay in since they have commited money to this round, & this is a lo-limit game. 5th st: Seat 2 may have 4 hearts, but I don't think so because he probably would not have bet 4th after he missed & the hearts got deader. He probably just has A's & doesn't want to give you a free card with a diamond draw. But I would raise anyway against 3 players & just 1 diamond out. (Again, judgement based on Andy B's analysis.) As for seat 3 , he should raise if he has a straight, but a lot of weak players incorrectly prefer to call & pull more money in rather than trying to protect the hand, so he may come out of the bushes & raise again in last place. Oh, well. 7th: 3 is betting into 2 possible flushes. I don't think I would want to raise him, but I think Simon Allen's analysis is better than mine. Sorry for the length. Good hand.