Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2005, 05:28 PM

Default Re: The art of min betting

Ya know after re-reading everything you're probably right. It matches in some respects, but what my thoughts were on were in what is most likely different circumstances.
Old 10-07-2005, 05:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If someone could explain how to employ this play as well as play against it, that would be greatly helpful.

[/ QUOTE ]

How to employ it - don't. If you're going to trap just check. There is no point in min betting.

As for how to play against it:

If you have a very strong hand and you won't be folding it go ahead and raise and if the min bettor pushes you're calling.

If you have a medicore hand then make a standard raise and if he pushes you fold, if folds fine, if he just calls you have to try and figure out what he has. Is he drawing and was hoping to get to see a cheap card by min betting or does he have a monster that he's trapping with. I would proceed with caution if you don't improve on the next card.

If you have a draw then call and be glad you are getting to see the next card cheap. If the pot is large enough I will call even with a gut shot since I'm already getting good odds and may pick up a big pot if he's trapping and doesn't suspect someone taking a cheap card off at a gutshot.

If you have a horrible hand I normally just fold. Unless this player is weak and it's short handed. If I have position I will take 1 stab at it and then back off if he calls or raises.
Old 10-07-2005, 05:44 PM

The only time I would ever min raise would be from CO against a borderline short stack BB with say 10-12BB. I would need a big hand and the minraise is to tease the BB into pushing rather than calling a standard raise and possibly getting away from the hand on a whiffed flop.

The idea is to juice the pot just enough to make the correct playback a push so BB stack needs to be in a specific range.
Old 10-07-2005, 05:45 PM

As for how to react to a minbet before you:

Treat it as a check, but add it to the pot for your calculations. If you had intended to check, then call. If you intended to bet 750 into the 1500 pot, now bet 850 into the 1700 pot. Unless you strongly suspect it's a trap or want to appear weak for future plays, pretend the minbet never occured.