Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2005, 12:25 PM

Default Re: A 10s in early posistion

[ QUOTE ]
www.stfu.com

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, look at the popular categories; we are in good company!
Old 10-07-2005, 12:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If it were relatively basic, how come the responses are different in regards to the question? I'm attempting to gather a number of responses as to how the hand is played, and make a conclusion based on that. Obviously the texture of the game is a huge factor in how the hand is played, but let me reitterate this....if this were truely a basic PF question, wouldnt the answer be the same from almost everyone who replied? The answer is no, because it is a hand that requires special attention, and your style and the texture of the game will greatly determine how you proceed in early position.

Thanks for the response anyways.

[/ QUOTE ]
Tex, I dont think this is a basic question. What to do with ATs in early position depends on what you want to accomplish . For instance if a raise is likely to get you heads up or win the blinds, but a call is likely to put you in a 5 or 6 handed pot, than I think calling is better than raising. Also if youre in the kind of game where you expect to get 2 or 3 coldcalls, then you should be raising ATs every time in my opinion. One thing I do believe is that the difference in EV between raising ATs in early position and calling with it is very close, close enough that it really shouldnt matter if you call or raise. I know others here have mentioned that raising is clearly the best move ev wise but I dont see how they can confidently draw this conclusion.
Old 10-07-2005, 12:29 PM

Raise or fold. If you're in a game with tough players, muck it. If you're in a game where people call raises with A-9 and Axs, bump it up.
Old 10-07-2005, 12:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If it were relatively basic, how come the responses are different in regards to the question? I'm attempting to gather a number of responses as to how the hand is played, and make a conclusion based on that. Obviously the texture of the game is a huge factor in how the hand is played, but let me reitterate this....if this were truely a basic PF question, wouldnt the answer be the same from almost everyone who replied? The answer is no, because it is a hand that requires special attention, and your style and the texture of the game will greatly determine how you proceed in early position.

[/ QUOTE ]
Tex, I dont think this is a basic question. What to do with ATs in early position depends on what you want to accomplish . For instance if a raise is likely to get you heads up or win the blinds, but a call is likely to put you in a 5 or 6 handed pot, than I think calling is better than raising. Also if youre in the kind of game where you expect to get 2 or 3 coldcalls, then you should be raising ATs every time in my opinion. One thing I do believe is that the difference in EV between raising ATs in early position and calling with it is very close, close enough that it really shouldnt matter if you call or raise. I know others here have mentioned that raising is clearly the best move ev wise but
I dont see how they can confidently draw this conclusion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Poker tracker stats.
Old 10-07-2005, 12:38 PM

mmm

if you limped and were raised by any decent player, what are your plans on a RAG FLOP?

on a K high flop? Q high flop? J high flop?

even when you hit your ace if you are getting pressured by the raiser OOP you are going to be check calling down afraid of your kicker.

LIMPING ATs in early position in a 22-25% VPIP average game that's 20-40 or higher is absolutely a -ev play.

you are going to be getting raised and playing a heads up out of position or a 3way pot.

at best there will be lots of limpers behind you, which is basically same as a crying limp with 33 in early position, hoping for more action.

If the game is tough and 2-3 players constantly coldcall you, why would you raise ATs early position? It's not that great of a hand to play OOP.

when I play ATs in early position and come in for a raise, all I'm hoping to do really is steal the blinds or get one caller out of the blinds, hopefully the BB.
Old 10-07-2005, 12:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Tex, I dont think this is a basic question. What to do with ATs in early position depends on what you want to accomplish . For instance if a raise is likely to get you heads up or win the blinds, but a call is likely to put you in a 5 or 6 handed pot, than I think calling is better than raising. Also if youre in the kind of game where you expect to get 2 or 3 coldcalls, then you should be raising ATs every time in my opinion. One thing I do believe is that the difference in EV between raising ATs in early position and calling with it is very close, close enough that it really shouldnt matter if you call or raise. I know others here have mentioned that raising is clearly the best move ev wise but
I dont see how they can confidently draw this conclusion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Poker tracker stats.

[/ QUOTE ]
I am sorry your statement still does not convince me, but youre on the right track. What would convince me that raising ATs is clearly better than calling in early position would be if a person using pokertracker limped with ATs 100,000 times and raised with ATs 100,000 times and compared the results. Assuming the sampler is a good player and the game is typical. I understand in a soft game ATs is a auto raise here, and I understand in a very tough game ATs is a fold
Old 10-07-2005, 12:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
mmm

if you limped and were raised by any decent player, what are your plans on a RAG FLOP?

on a K high flop? Q high flop? J high flop?

even when you hit your ace if you are getting pressured by the raiser OOP you are going to be check calling down afraid of your kicker.

LIMPING ATs in early position in a 22-25% VPIP average game that's 20-40 or higher is absolutely a -ev play.

you are going to be getting raised and playing a heads up out of position or a 3way pot.

at best there will be lots of limpers behind you, which is basically same as a crying limp with 33 in early position, hoping for more action.

If the game is tough and 2-3 players constantly coldcall you, why would you raise ATs early position? It's not that great of a hand to play OOP.

when I play ATs in early position and come in for a raise, all I'm hoping to do really is steal the blinds or get one caller out of the blinds, hopefully the BB.

[/ QUOTE ]
If I knew before I raised that I am going to get atleast 2 or 3 coldcallers, that would indicate to me that I am in a very soft game and thats why raising ATs is the right play imo since it gets more money in the pot with the probable best hand. Dont you love that feeling when you have a strong hand and you already know 2-3 people are guaranteed to call your raise?
About what I am going to do if I limp and its raised behind me on a flop I miss, well in that situation I am going to play poker. If I think I have the best hand I will bet or checkraise, If I think I'm trailing I will fold or call if I have the pot odds to continue, and If I think I can make my opponent fold a better hand I will adjust my strategy accordingly.
Old 10-07-2005, 01:19 PM

If the game is good you can raise or call pre-flop. I raise with this hand more often than not. If you find yourself wondering WTF to do with your hand after the flop, then fold. In general, if you are playing against a tougher line-up, just play tighter and you can avoid many uncomfortable situations.
Old 10-07-2005, 01:23 PM

Default Also...

[ QUOTE ]
I found my self in early pos. with it last night and I limped, and was raised by MP, and button called. BB called, flop came A high, I checked there was a bet and a button raise BB folded, and I mucked having only top pair with a potential backdoor flush draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the players are such that you can make this laydown with confidence, then I absolutely play the A-10 in early position.
Old 10-07-2005, 01:25 PM

this is a difficult hand to play up-front. i used to always raise, but found i lost too much in full tight aggressive games. i then tried mostly limping. here is what i now think. it is very game dependent. if the players are weak and you can get it heads up, or even steal the blinds, then raise. if the game is loose and you think you can get it multiway by limping, then limp. if the games if full, the players are strong and aggressive and most pots only have a few opponents, you could even fold (out of position)! however, folding could only be done in a few games.

if you are a player who if raised, and/or hits his A or a T high flop, and there is a lot of action, and you are unable to get away from top pair (and find yourself loosing to a bigger A often, or on a T high flop to a pair higher then split Ts), then maybe folding up-fromt or moving down would have merit.

depending on the game raising or calling probably has a similar ev, just pick the correct game type to choose which action to take.

if the game is not full, let's say 7 handed or less, it is of course a must raise.

i have move up over the years, and i play the higher limits. 100/200 being the occasional lowest, but almost always higher now. and in these games i usually raise UTG. i have a good image, and if i raise UTG unless a player has a big hand i get a lot of respect. also these games are usually 1 or 2 opponents in a pot. strange how as the players get stronger and the games bigger i make more by raising with ATs UTG.