Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2005, 11:59 AM

Default Re: Newt on Fox news now...

I agree it could have come from a conservative. They would be wrong [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] -- but it could have.

I was commenting on your warning -- "I'm a Liberal!"

After reading some of your other posts on the forum -- I would probably put you quite a bit left of liberal.
Old 10-07-2005, 12:42 PM

I'm not saying it should be an issue, but a lot of primary voters will take into account his habit of dumping his wife when he meets someone younger, healthier, or more attractive.

The guy is a Republican Bill Clinton, and by that I mean he is a political and policy wonk. However, I just cannot picture the guy getting the nomination.
Old 10-07-2005, 01:41 PM

Default I Hope He Runs

I'd never vote for him, of course, which is no secret, I'm sure, to any of you. And I don't want him to run because I think he's unelectable. I'm not sure if he is or not.

He's thoughtful and articulate and he'll be in a field of both Democrats and Repubicans who aren't. I think he'd elevate the debate and direct discussion towards issues instead of fluff and nonsense. I think he's wrong on the issues, but I'd love to hear what he has to say and what others in the race reponses would be.
Old 10-07-2005, 05:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
, and, well... just plain 'ol electable.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like Newt a lot. But, electable is the one thing he isn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that you are underestimating him. He is one of the few known GOP contenders that I would seriously consider voting for.

[/ QUOTE ]

People's memory of Newt is the government shutdown at the end of 1994. He got blamed for it and it created a wound that I think still exists today.
Old 10-07-2005, 05:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that you are underestimating him. He is one of the few known GOP contenders that I would seriously consider voting for.

[/ QUOTE ]

People's memory of Newt is the government shutdown at the end of 1994. He got blamed for it and it created a wound that I think still exists today.

[/ QUOTE ]

I also remember him for leaving his wife while she was sick in the hospital.

-ptmusic
Old 10-07-2005, 07:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

At the end of 1994 all he was doing was jubilantly celebrating the victory of his Contract On America or whatever the nonsense was called. Anyway the government shutdown was in 1995 as I recall. I think his ultimate departure from power had more to do with the ethical cloud over his head that came as Republicans were impeaching Clinton for lying about a BJ. Most specifically I thought he was forced out because Republicans lost seats during the 1998 midterm for the first time in 50+ years with a Democratic president.

Honestly I suspect most people don't remember too much about him. Wasn't Bob Livingston his replacement before Hastert was picked? That means that in the last decade, the Republicans have had to dump 3 of their leaders in the House? Wow.
Old 10-07-2005, 09:40 PM

Of course, you're right about the shutdown being in 1995.
Old 10-07-2005, 10:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

unfortunately I think you are right. which is too bad because intellectually he is probably the strongest conservative candidate. But as you point out it, too many independants have already formed an opinion of him, and he would be too easily demonized by the other side.

He seems like a good chief of staff type though.
Old 10-08-2005, 01:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He seems like a good chief of staff type though.

[/ QUOTE ]

He'd be a horrible Chief of Staff, he's not the hands on management type -- he's a leader. But he's a pretty good political strategist. Perhaps something like Chairman of the RNC of Chairman of whomever's 2008 campaign.

As someone who hopes the GOP loses in 2008 I'd love to see Newt at the top of the ticket. However, by the same token, I'd hate to see whoever is at the top of the ticket listen to his advice because he is a pretty smart political operator.
Old 10-10-2005, 03:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
...and looking like a candidate, with a schedule including wisconson and new hampshire in the next week. It looks like he's setting up for a run, and, honestly, he's the only repub in the feild that i'd consider voting for- and the only one that i think could soundly defeat you-know-who...

thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would love it if he ran, and love it if he won it all.