Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2005, 09:18 AM

Default Re: Entitled to be irrational/illogical?

[ QUOTE ]
My dilemma is this: Is it sometimes valid to be illogical? (I used entitled instead of valid in the title of the post - they are not really the same thing but I'm interested in responses to either.)

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't even know what this means. Is it "valid" to be irrational? What do you mean by validity? If validity is measured by reason, then it is obviously not valid to be irrational. If validity means it may have some benefit, then I suppose so (love comes to mind).

As for "entitled" to be irrational, this makes even less sense. Are you asking if you have a right to be irrational? Well, you have a right to think anything you want so long as you don't infringe on other's rights. So go for it and enjoy the freedom to think and believe silly things.
Old 10-07-2005, 11:20 AM

Over 50% of the population is genetically predisposed to being irrational.
Old 10-07-2005, 08:31 PM

Not everything humans do has to be rational, but when you're discussing science and math, rationality is necessary. Think about the scientific process, and then take out rationality / logic and it doesn't take a genius to find out that the conclusions will suffer.
Old 10-08-2005, 01:16 PM

This certainly has applications in game theory. The one time I have heard of it is as applied to international relations, the Cuban missile crisis I think was the context.

It needs the otherside to know you are going to be prepared to act illogically, ie in a fashion that they know you know is illogical.

It may have been illogical to confront the USSR on the assumption that both sides were acting rationally but once the other side knows you are prepared to be irrational then the rules of the game literally change.

So, my answer to your question is "yes".
Old 10-08-2005, 01:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but rather when someone has used logic to come up what is clearly the best belief/action, and yet denies that action or belief.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a pretty normal human reaction.

I think a common process is to use logic to help justify something know to be true, when logic gives an incorrect conclusion it ‘makes sense’ [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] to ignore it.

Valid – guess depends what you need for something to be valid.

Entitled – who sets the guidelines?