Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2005, 06:41 PM

Default Re: What to do with Tofu

You can add it in almost anywhere.

There are two schools of thought, though they're not adversarial. One is that you do thinks to it that makes it taste better, like marinading, etc. The other is that you simply let it blend into everything else.

I can be a little bit of a fan of both, but mostly do it the second way. Tofu is almost completely tasteless, so I use it as a valuable cheap protein in meals where there is little protein. Salads, spaghetti, and ramen soups are all excellent places for tofu.

For people marinading it or preparing it in special ways, keep in mind the technique of getting some of the juice out of it to make it more dry. Put it on something that will let it drain a bit, either as a whole block or in some slices. Then put a plate on top of it, or a heavy jar or bowl, for a while. The juice will drain out, and it will fry up better that way, and absorb marinade better.
Old 10-06-2005, 06:41 PM

It comes in different textures. Buy according to whether you really want it in solid pieces, or if you don't mind it breaking apart. You might just find you like one texture better than another, too.
Old 10-06-2005, 07:52 PM

Well, marinading does do the trick. Soaked it in rice wine vinegar, soy, garlic, and pepper paste. It tasted just like a soft, slimy piece of the marinade. Fried it and drowned it with curry sauce. Next time I'll get the extra firm; I require some resistance from my protein. If it's not moving, it should at least be tough.

The pakora mix I fried up was too salty. Next time I'll just have that with the sauce and plenty of water.
Old 10-06-2005, 08:44 PM

[If you are not a vegetarian and want to add some cheap other protein source..]

Do you like Chinese food? Make Mah-Pah Dofu.

Go to Ranch 99. Asian supermarkets = usually the best deals, very cheap. Buy the following items:
-ground pork (get 2lbs, freeze the rest, it's like $1.99/lb or something)
-soft tofu (if you've run out of tofu)
-scallions
-ginger
-black bean hot sauce
-dark soy sauce and rice vinegar and seseame oil (if you don't have)
-corn starch

Heat wok / pan. Dump like 1/2-3/4 pound ground pork and some chopped ginger. Let it start cooking a little. Pour dark soy sauce liberally. Cook pork through.

Once pork is done, dump in tofu that you've cut into small squares (if it's not precut)like 2-3 boxes. Time is of the essence, that much tofu is very water heavy (even if properly drained) and will start to ruin the consistency of this dish.

Mix in black bean hot sauce to taste, add around tablespoon some rice vinegar and sesame oil. Add some cornstarch to thicken the concoction somewhat (look for a chili-ish consistency). Toss in a bunch of chopped scallions.

Enjoy. I love this dish. It's so easy. I call it Chinese Chili.