Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2005, 01:54 PM

Default Re: What should I do?

Thanks for all the replies and advice. You have all said what I was thinking. I will stick to the 3/6 and as my bankroll improves I will take baby steps to the higher limits.

I needed you guys for a tie breaker between the angel and devil on my shoulders whispering:

-Angel: "Play your bankroll, stay at 3/6, and be smart"

-Devil: "screw that, you play 3/6 all day for a $100 profit... You do that in 1 or 2 hands at 15/30, no guts no glory"

Thanks again!
Old 10-06-2005, 05:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I needed you guys for a tie breaker between the angel and devil on my shoulders whispering:

[/ QUOTE ]

I HATE those guys... never get any sleep [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 10-06-2005, 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You are too loose preflop to win consistently at the higher levels.

[/ QUOTE ]

care to back up/ elaborate?

stealthcow-
Old 10-06-2005, 07:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you go straight to 15/30 you have no idea of the common mistakes 3/6, 4/8, 5/10, and 10/20 players make.

[/ QUOTE ]

That may or may not be true, depending on the card room each of us deals with.

For example, at Canterbury in Minnesota (biggest in the upper midwest) one would try to beat 4/8 instead of playing 2/4 or 3/6. Then you move to the next limit of 6/12. Better players and less rake effect on your money compared to the lower limits. Then you skip 8/16 and move to 15/30 and/or 30/60 (the two highest limits available there). The 6/12 and 8/16 games are the yellow chip games. Supposedly 6/12 has better games than 8/16, with 8/16 being more of a 2/4 game with more money on the table.

The principle of moving up as your bankroll and ability grow is sound, but poker is not totally like martial arts--you can skip a belt here and there based on local playing situations.
Old 10-06-2005, 08:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for all the replies and advice. You have all said what I was thinking. I will stick to the 3/6 and as my bankroll improves I will take baby steps to the higher limits.

-Angel: "Play your bankroll, stay at 3/6, and be smart"

-Devil: "screw that, you play 3/6 all day for a $100 profit... You do that in 1 or 2 hands at 15/30, no guts no glory"

Thanks again!

[/ QUOTE ]

Ugh...dude, I'll take playing for $100 profit, that's actually beats any college job.
Old 10-12-2005, 01:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

A few numbers from PT:

3/6:
20,612 hands
BB/Hr 1.8
VP$iP 19.5%
W$wSF 46.3%
Aggression 1.62

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a new question but I figured I'd save time by adding to my original post so that you guys know who I am.

I have noticed that while playing at night (1am+ est.) there seem to be a lot more super aggressive players and players that will chase anything to the river.

I don’t know if this is because of alcohol or some desperation to break even for the day but it definitely plays much more aggressive than my morning/afternoon sessions.

My question is:

Is it better to play these types of games (3/6) where the payouts are greater, the players are worse, but so is the variance or is the more passive morning game a choice for a 300 bb bankroll where swings are more gradual?

PS

I know the answer of play whatever game you can beat is an easy one for this question, but I am looking for a little more depth because of my bankroll restrictions.

Thanks in advance
Old 10-12-2005, 08:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You are running good at the higher levels. You are too loose preflop to win consistently at the higher levels.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not true.

20% VPIP at 15-30 generates an excellent WR in the hands of a skilled postflop player.

To the OP, I say this: poker is poker. It's the same game at 15-30 as it is at 3-6. But, you're going to go through a stretch in that game where you lose 3k. Fast. If you or your bankroll cannot handle that, stick with 3-6.

Additionally, your winrate at 3-6 leads me to believe you aren't quite as good as you may think you are, and have simply been running hot at the 15. Another poster was correct--if you can't destroy 3-6 you have no business at 15-30.
Old 10-12-2005, 10:42 PM

[quote Additionally, your winrate at 3-6 leads me to believe you aren't quite as good as you may think you are

[/ QUOTE ]

I know it is a technicality but in none of my posts did I claim or even implied I was good. I added my stats so that I could get advise from the more experienced players and to take away any subjectivity of "I am a winning player" or "I win at 3/6" etc.
Although there may not be many, I consider myself a humble poker player, always willing to learn or ask for help.
Old 10-12-2005, 11:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I know the answer of play whatever game you can beat is an easy one for this question, but I am looking for a little more depth because of my bankroll restrictions.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you play a game you can beat and stay within the limits of your bank roll, then you bank roll problems will take care of themselves.

One bad downswing at the higher level regardless of how good you play and you are back to picking up aluminum cans.
Old 10-15-2005, 03:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
To the OP, I say this: poker is poker. It's the same game at 15-30 as it is at 3-6.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not only false, it is dangerously false.