Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2005, 06:41 PM

Default Re: A A.

[ QUOTE ]
Check behind on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really don't see much that beats me checking that river. Or I should say, I think I am ahead more than 50% if called. To me, it looks like he is trying to induce a bluff here, and will call with pretty marginal holdings. As long as I have the brains to make the obvious fold to a check-raise, I think the bet is fine.
Old 10-05-2005, 06:59 PM

Do you really think he puts you on bluffing high cards? He might be trying to get a bluff, this is true. The only draw on the flop hit on the turn, and the only added draw on the turn hit on the river. What can he possibly be inducing a bluff *from*? If he does have some middleish pair like 77 or 78 then I think you'd have to beat real small for him to even think about calling. The only hands you get any equity from are TT, QQ and KK, IMO. That's not to say there isn't room for a flop or turn raise. Just that as played, I check river.
Old 10-05-2005, 07:10 PM

True, but the fact that he checked the river makes all those hands pretty probable. In my experience, people are not often inducing bluffs with monsters (even though they should). Basically, his river check looks very weak and I am pretty sure I am ahead, and I belive that me waking up on the river like that looks pretty weird and might make him call with very marginal holdings.
Old 10-05-2005, 08:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
True, but the fact that he checked the river makes all those hands pretty probable. In my experience, people are not often inducing bluffs with monsters (even though they should). Basically, his river check looks very weak and I am pretty sure I am ahead, and I belive that me waking up on the river like that looks pretty weird and might make him call with very marginal holdings.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree.
Old 10-05-2005, 09:07 PM

Calling both flop and turn sucks.
I would raise somewhere.
Betting the river is standard imo and good play as is folding to final allin.

Best wishes
Old 10-05-2005, 10:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why not raise the flop or turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

The board is pretty safe on flop, figured I was way ahead or way behind and wanted to keep him fighting my "steal".

[/ QUOTE ]

Like your thinking. This does seem to be a WA/WB situation. I play this the same way you did, and folding the river.
Old 10-05-2005, 11:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Calling both flop and turn sucks.
I would raise somewhere.
Betting the river is standard imo and good play as is folding to final allin.

Best wishes

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like raising the flop for reasons I have mentioned. On the turn, to only possible draw got there, and him having a flush draw is unlikely. Still WA/WB and now a raise will be even more pot bloating. As played, I have no problems w/ calling a decent sized bet on river, which is about as expensive as raising the turn.
Old 10-05-2005, 11:55 PM

Honestly, what's the point in betting the river? A value bet seems to have little potential for success here with just an overpair.

Either he folds to the bet and you get just the pot or he's trapping and you've fallen for it. You raise preflop and he called it with something. My bet is a small pair or some sort of drawing hand that caught up to you.

IMO, the mistake was slowplaying a pair of overs on the flop. If you raise him there, you get the information you're wanting on the river.
Old 10-05-2005, 11:58 PM

1) no
2) no

This is one spot where I like the min-raise. Min-raise the turn and hope for him to check it to you on the river.
Old 10-06-2005, 12:00 AM

Pardon the plug, but the last Card Player had an article on a very similar situation.

And it encouraged checking the river in this situation.