Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2005, 05:23 PM

Default Re: Ribbo and Me

[ QUOTE ]
Looked to me like his play was the worse.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lest you forget, I KNOW the guy who pot-raised in front of me, What kind of fantasy land do you live in? I was 80/20 to win that hand. You were praying for 4 people to fold, (two of whom had already put more money in the pot) -- or, for yourself two catch a 6 outer.

Paying TWICE the pot to bluff out 4 people when your back up is a 6 outer, is gigantically -EV. Surely you realize that.

Apparantly this hand is not as boring as Wintermute thinks.
Old 10-04-2005, 05:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Looked to me like his play was the worse.

[/ QUOTE ]
Lest you forget, I KNOW the guy who pot-raised in front of me, What kind of fantasy land do you live in? I was 80/20 to win that hand. You were praying for 4 people to fold, (two of whom had already put more money in the pot) -- or, for yourself two catch a 6 outer.

Paying TWICE the pot to bluff out 4 people when your back up is a 6 outer, is gigantically -EV. Surely you realize that.

Apparantly this hand is not as boring as Wintermute thinks.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-04-2005, 05:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes. It's a mistake to take one hand out of context. Ribbo plays more hands more aggressively than you are used to. As a result, people play back at him with less than optimal holdings--as such, he can correspondingly adjust his requirements a shade lower. Over time, this style wins--the proof is in all the results that have been posted in this forum over the past half year.

The real beauty of this approach against tight players is that they don't even realize they are getting the worst of it in the long run, style-wise, since many of their large losses are "suckouts" in their opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Firstly, though I appreciate what I have seen of Ribbo's writing, (this thread excepted), posting a bunch of hands where you win is not "Proof" that you are a winning player. I'm pushing 2000 hands with Ribbo, and even with the $800 on these huge dog suckouts, he is still a losing player in my database.

I have little doubt about the quality of the thinking in his advice, but at the tables where I have seen him, he has been losing money. I am not winning over the last month at the $200 tables either, so please do not misconstrue my post as a statement that I think I am a "better" player than Ribbo.

Having people play back at you when you are an 80/20 dog is NOT a good thing, unless you are getting better than 4-1. Clearly in this hand Ribbo was NOT inviting play back, if he was, he was a fool. Moreover, you are assuming that if Ribbo had a spade to go with the Ace that he would have pot-re-raised. Frankly, from what I have seen and read, he would have value bet the nut flush with a low re-draw a large percentage of the time. So the "style" thing is only valid if people don't have a read on your "style". But when people read your posts, have played 1000's of hands with you AND read your hand histories, "Style" can be a little predictable.
Old 10-04-2005, 05:52 PM

If your play was so correct in both these hands, I'm not sure why your feelings were hurt to the extent that you felt you had to post my multi-poker "alias".

Or was it the jacket remark? If you are "Megaman" enough to wear that jacket and post a picture of yourself in it, you should be able to handle a reference to it-- especially one as vanilla as mine was in that post.

I don't care that much who knows the alias, I just think that was lame of you to do in spite.
Old 10-04-2005, 05:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yes. It's a mistake to take one hand out of context. Ribbo plays more hands more aggressively than you are used to. As a result, people play back at him with less than optimal holdings--as such, he can correspondingly adjust his requirements a shade lower. Over time, this style wins--the proof is in all the results that have been posted in this forum over the past half year.

The real beauty of this approach against tight players is that they don't even realize they are getting the worst of it in the long run, style-wise, since many of their large losses are "suckouts" in their opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Firstly, though I appreciate what I have seen of Ribbo's writing, (this thread excepted), posting a bunch of hands where you win is not "Proof" that you are a winning player. I'm pushing 2000 hands with Ribbo, and even with the $800 on these huge dog suckouts, he is still a losing player in my database.

I have little doubt about the quality of the thinking in his advice, but at the tables where I have seen him, he has been losing money. I am not winning over the last month at the $200 tables either, so please do not misconstrue my post as a statement that I think I am a "better" player than Ribbo.

Having people play back at you when you are an 80/20 dog is NOT a good thing, unless you are getting better than 4-1. Clearly in this hand Ribbo was NOT inviting play back, if he was, he was a fool. Moreover, you are assuming that if Ribbo had a spade to go with the Ace that he would have pot-re-raised. Frankly, from what I have seen and read, he would have value bet the nut flush with a low re-draw a large percentage of the time. So the "style" thing is only valid if people don't have a read on your "style". But when people read your posts, have played 1000's of hands with you AND read your hand histories, "Style" can be a little predictable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good god no, I would shove a nut flush with A3 for low just the same. Same with A2 spades if low hasnt hit yet.
Since you clearly have either a bad flush or a set on the flop with that bet, i'm not taking my chances it's one over the other until i have nut low also.
Old 10-04-2005, 05:58 PM

what does posting these two qoutes mean?
Old 10-04-2005, 06:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If your play was so correct in both these hands, I'm not sure why your feelings were hurt to the extent that you felt you had to post my multi-poker "alias".

Or was it the jacket remark? If you are "Megaman" enough to wear that jacket and post a picture of yourself in it, you should be able to handle a reference to it-- especially one as vanilla as mine was in that post.

I don't care that much who knows the alias, I just think that was lame of you to do in spite.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was lame of you to post in the first place out of spite of getting sucked out.
And since I care not about people knowing my usernames, you had a lot more to lose from posting it. Maybe next time you will use your brain and think first eh?
Old 10-04-2005, 07:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It was lame of you to post in the first place out of spite of getting sucked out.
And since I care not about people knowing my usernames, you had a lot more to lose from posting it. Maybe next time you will use your brain and think first eh?

[/ QUOTE ]

Posting a suck-out is not spiteful. It is venting. And admitting that you got lucky is actually cathartic. You should try it.

You aren't seriously suggesting that I by posting the hand history with your alias "RIBBO", known to all, that this is equivalent to posting an alias that no one knew.
Old 10-04-2005, 07:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Posting a suck-out is not spiteful. It is venting. And admitting that you got lucky is actually cathartic. You should try it.

You aren't seriously suggesting that I by posting the hand history with your alias "RIBBO", known to all, that this is equivalent to posting an alias that no one knew.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just out of interest, exactly HOW did you think I would take it?
Old 10-04-2005, 08:02 PM

Well I didn't think it was too much to hope for that you would be amused <blush> at your good fortune. I mean somebody posts 2 hands where I take down $$$$$$$$, I don't think I would take it so badly that I would feel the need to berate their play and post their alias.

We all make moves a pots where we are WAY behind-- it doesn't tarnish your reputation that you were <gasp> way behind when you shoved. Although I am not overly fond of your reraise with two pair, it wasn't thoughtless, just horribly far behind given what I had.

I suspect you would have been understandably pissed if I had posted these hands and you had been scooped.

But as I said, in the original post, "Cheers". Better that it went to somebody that I like, instead of some a-hole.