Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: How should Sixes go out?
Rebuild at the $5+1s. 30 17.65%
Buy-In to a NL table and go on a push fest. 62 36.47%
Alcohol. 78 45.88%
Voters: 170. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-04-2005, 03:47 PM

Default Re: Which distance??

35 assuming I have from now until then to get ready. In college I was able to hit from that 30-40 range fooling around with friends. 45 seems out of my range no matter what I do.
Old 10-04-2005, 03:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm 35, I still play soccer.

45 for $1M. Ship it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm 21 and played soccer for 12 years and I doubt I could kick a field goal from 25 yards out. Maybe if I got to a couple practice kicks in, but cold? No chance.

[/ QUOTE ]

Any halfway decent soccer player should be able to kick a 25 yarder with no trouble at all. Remember that 25 yards is just outside the circle at the top of the penalty box. The crossbar is only 10' high - only 2' higher than the soccer goal. Think about how many times you've accidentally drilled a shot over the crossbar from outside the box.

My friend and I used to have FG kicking contests. There were times we'd get up to 50 yds (off the ground, not off a tee) but neither one of us could ever get to 55 [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 10-04-2005, 04:06 PM

On a few occasions I've walked over to the local high school football field with a ball (no tee ... the grass is high enough I can get the ball to sit up correctly anyway) and kicked a few. I'm 25, weigh 210, and I played a few years of soccer growing up. The longest FG I've made just messing around is 37 yards.

Right now, 25 grand is a lot of money to me, and a 25-yarder for me is close to a sure thing (I'm consistent out to 30), so I'd probably do that. If I was in a gambling mood, I'd try the 35-yarder. I couldn't get the ball past 40 yards with my best effort.
Old 10-04-2005, 05:50 PM

I can hit a baseball, I can make free throw, I can throw and catch a football...

...but I can't make a TEN yard FG. Never could.
Old 10-04-2005, 06:02 PM

neither can anyone else
Old 10-04-2005, 06:21 PM

Like everyone else said, 25 if asked cold. 35 if given some warmup and notice. 45...probably not. I could do 40 back in HS when I played soccer and messed around on the football field with friends.

Also, I think the footgear would be really important. Cleats would add a good bit of distance to my decision.
Old 10-05-2005, 04:28 AM

Given a few months to practice I don't think I'd be four times less likely to make from 35 than 25, so I'd pick that. I never played soccer but I used to mess around kicking quite a bit and could make from about 30 yards out off the grass. A tee makes it much easier, so much so that strong legged soccer players or people with kicking experience would probably be better off going for the million at least from an EV standpoint.
Old 10-05-2005, 10:24 AM

Nobody in this forum could kick a 45-yd. field goal. And it's laughable that they'd try it.

I picked 25.... go for the easiest cash. (Although 25 is farther than you think).
Old 10-05-2005, 10:26 AM

This is laughable. I'd bet you $1M you miss.
Old 10-05-2005, 10:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Think about how many times you've accidentally drilled a shot over the crossbar from outside the box.

[/ QUOTE ]

Think of how many times you realized that a football is shaped completely different from a soccer ball.