Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2005, 12:22 PM

Default Re: Can I find a fold with AA

[ QUOTE ]
this is precisely why i dont like small limit. too many limpers, loose/passives that river u or what not, and of course no respect to raises.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is precisely why I do like small limit.
Old 10-04-2005, 12:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
this is precisely why i dont like small limit. too many limpers, loose/passives that river u or what not, and of course no respect to raises.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Low limit can be very profitable. You just have to accept that hands like this do not do very well against a lot of people. I figured I was behind on the turn and was looking for that miracle catch [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]
Old 10-04-2005, 01:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I called down and UTG+2 showed T9o for rivered trips and SB showed K8o for a lesser 2 pair. I was actually hping for the board to pair figuring that UTG+2 was over pushing KQ or KJ figured one of the blinds on a draw and one for 2 pair. Well I was close anyway [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Jeepers he 3 bet the flop and led the turn after you capped with mid pair. At least you can mark him as a big fat lag in your notes.
Old 10-04-2005, 01:45 PM

Here's my evaluation:

Flop:Your raise is a fine play here but I'm not sure I would cap, a better play might be to call the 3bet and raise a safe turn card. The pot is too big to protect your hand and if you raise the turn you're forcing the button, BB, and SB to call two increased bets cold which may limit the field.

Turn:The 8 comes down which puts a 75 and 7T straight on the board and also creates a hearts draw against you. I don't understand why we're capping the flop but calling the turn in this large multi-way pot. The BB now check raises which could mean several things: He could have picked up a draw including hearts, a straight, or both. He could have hit a set with pocket 8's, he could have made 2p, or he could have completed a straight. UTG+1 calls the raise, now without reads this play would seem to indicate that our opponent is either fearful of a straight, or doesn't have as large a monster as he was previously indicating.

River:Another 9 hits which counterfits any other 2p on the board but also means any 9 is beating you. The BB checks, this means it's unlikely he has a straight. He's more likely to have 2p or some busted draw. UTG+2 bets again, and even though you're likely beat you MUST call for 1 bet in a 30BB pot. Remember when the pot is that big you only need to have the winning hand 1 in 30 times to make the play correct.
Old 10-04-2005, 02:09 PM

I don't think there's a fold in there, but you probably could have protected your hand better. If you really think you have the best hand on the flop, you should have just smoothcalled and raised the turn. Don't let the possible straight scare you. Few players at the 2/4 level are bad enough to play T7 or 75. Yes, it turned out that someone would have outdrawn you on the turn, BUT raising the turn is still generally the correct play because the bigger bet protects your hand better than a small bet (on the flop) does. Also, consider your relative position to the bettor. Only one player can call between you and the bettor, but 3 players will act behind you. Even in this example, you would have been raising into the better hand (K8) but the probably would have 3-bet (I think?), which would most likely force out even the UTG+2 with his middle pair. IF the hand would have played out like this, you would have won it. Granted, the best justification for raising the turn is NOT that you would have won; that would be results-oriented and illogical. But, you CAN lay smaller odds to the UTG+2 player on the turn than you can on the flop. This idea is outlined in SSHE somewhere if you want a better explanation and another example.
Old 10-04-2005, 02:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-04-2005, 03:04 PM

I thought I actually may have played this wrong. In hindsight this does sound like better line to take. I will have to keep that in mind at a later date. Thanks.