Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2003, 01:10 AM

Default Re: Nice to See You Post That......

I am anti-Bush, anti-Republican, anti-Fox News, pro-liberal. And pro-American. All of the things from the first sentence do not preclude one from being pro-American.

And I know you wudda never thunk it.
Old 05-21-2003, 01:28 AM

Andy just how much money can one make by becoming a " pro-liberal" ? I would consider switching if the profession paid well.
Old 05-21-2003, 02:10 AM

Default Re: You are what you is

yes but Cyrus some of those things were kinda true even before the Iraq war. Not all but some, and not entirely but kinda. The Iraq war just helped to clarify things a wee bit.

Old 05-21-2003, 02:19 AM

Depends how well you play the game. You should do well.
Old 05-21-2003, 02:25 AM

Default Cooler heads better prevail

"Some of those things were kinda true even before the Iraq war. Not all but some, and not entirely but kinda. The Iraq war just helped to clarify things a wee bit."

I will not argue here whether the Brits are eternally brave or the French eternal cowards. I presume we are above such silly and utterly groundless generalizing. That's because I presume we are elementarily versed in History, to say the least.

What I'm amused to see is how this (supposedly) sophisticated audience allows irrational thinking to pass as serious political analysis. I'm not referring to the moral issues of racism, no. But in their racist haste, some people, as notably Wogga, will characterize whole races/groups/nationalities with whatever is currently happening in their lives --- and in the world as they perceive it.

If a guy gets mugged by a Black man, all black men are crminals. If the Brits don't help out in the Iraqi War, they are a faggoty bunch. If the Canadians send a battalion, they are our loyal friends, eh? And so on.

I recall that Mason Mamuth has long ago pointed out the statistical fallacy in drawing general conclusions from limited results. Throw in a hefty dose of biased thinking and you have a God-awful mess...
Old 05-21-2003, 09:26 AM

Default Re: Cooler heads better prevail

All right, some good points, but I feel the French have long enjoyed opposing us--it's like their substitute for sport or something;-)
Old 05-22-2003, 05:56 AM

Default French have been mostly pro-American

"I feel the French have long enjoyed opposing [the U.S.]"

That's a misplaced feeling, I'm afraid. The French, if you want to generalize, have been historically one of the most pro-American nations in Europe, if not the world!

You could explain that to the French being always at odds with the British, and, therefore, instictively supporting anyone opposing the Brits, such as the Yanks. Or you could argue about various other explanations. This doesn't change the fact of France's underlying fondness for Americans and their culture.

Examples abound : the French embraced Jazz before anyone else did; French cinema, especially after the 50s New Wave (Nouvelle Vague), consistently idolized Hollywood movies; American writers chose Paris as their literary haven over any other European capital; the record of French vote in the U.N. has been as consistently pro-U.S. in the last 50 years as any Western ally; etc.

...And don't bring up Jerry Lewis, please!
Old 05-22-2003, 10:58 AM

Default Did You Ever Have a French Woman Spit in Your Kid\'s Face?

....for the sin of being an American student in france? eff your pompous french diatribe. the french are scum. when we went after libya, they were not with us, when we went after saadam, they were not with us, in fact, they openly told the world they would veto ANY RESOLUTION put forth by the U.S. I hate the french and am not afraid to say it. May they rot in hell
Old 05-22-2003, 12:05 PM

Default Vive la France! nt

Old 05-22-2003, 12:30 PM

Default I Hope a Frenchman Not only Spits on Your Kid.....

....but your wife and mother too