Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2005, 08:29 PM

Default Re: Drop Out Rates in New York and L.A. Schools

I'm not arguing that point, Nicky; I'm pointing out that Bruiser's statement isn't entirely true.

Sure luck and circumstance frequently play a role but character does too. Bruiser's statement is erroneous because it is too absolute.
Old 10-01-2005, 08:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I will put the book on my list of books to read but it in no way diminishes my point.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes it does; contrary examples do indeed diminish absolute statements when the examples prove those statements to be in error.

you wrote:

[ QUOTE ]
You are where you are today because you were fortunate, if you were born into the wrong circumstances there is nothing you could do about it, you'd be acting the same as they do dropping out of school and wouldn't be able to be so arrogant.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very possibly so in many cases; but very wrongly stated as a hard and fast rule.
Old 10-01-2005, 08:45 PM

"Sure luck and circumstance frequently play a role but character does too."

In individual cases character can surmount circumstances. But in general circumstances are the key factor and it is wrong that people's lives are so heavily influenced by the circumstances they are born into. Sorry if you're not arguing against that; I certainly have the impression that others in this thread have tried to refute that before.
Old 10-01-2005, 08:47 PM

"Very possibly so in many cases; but very wrongly stated as a hard and fast rule."

This is silly MMMM, that's obviously true, I wrote it as I did to make a point. There are always many factors contributing to something, but you and Dynasty seem to be missing the point. Circumstances are a huge dominant factor, for Dynasty to say that because only 50% of black people graduate in a given area and 98% graduate where where I went to school is because all of the people in my area happened to be good people, and all of the black people happened to be weak people that failed on their "own merits" is patently absurd.
Old 10-01-2005, 09:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You are where you are today because you were fortunate, if you were born into the wrong circumstances there is nothing you could do about it, you'd be acting the same as they do dropping out of school and wouldn't be able to be so arrogant.

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps you could describe the fortunate circumstances I was born into. Please be specific because, as far as I know, you don't have any information about my life. You seem to simply be making assumptions about me because it's convenient for you to make your point.
Old 10-01-2005, 11:48 PM

Bruiser, I agree that it would be wrong to say that all failed purely on their own merit. It would also be wrong to say that all failed entirely due to circumstances beyond their control.
Old 10-02-2005, 12:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps you could describe the fortunate circumstances I was born into. Please be specific because, as far as I know, you don't have any information about my life. You seem to simply be making assumptions about me because it's convenient for you to make your point.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah you're right I did make a conveniant assumption. But even if you worked your way out of some tough situation maybe I can't call you as arrogant, but you're still wrong.
Old 10-02-2005, 03:55 AM

What may be correct is to say that their challenges could be predicted based upon the behavior of their parents that landed them in these districts (right or wrong). From that point, the schools could take over and teach their students that there is a way out -- instead of teaching them that they are victims, or allowing them to believe they are victims.
Old 10-02-2005, 01:05 PM

Good point. I mean yours, not the point of No Child Left Behind.
Old 10-02-2005, 01:41 PM

Default Re: Drop Out Rates in New York and L.A. Schools.

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] the people i know that drop out from h.s. ; or are forced out due to poor behavior, druga, terrible grades; generally say that it's no big deal; that they can get a ged; and there are tech schools to give them the training they need.

it's time we stopped this demand all students go 12 years; and if they don't both the system and the student are failures...let people quit; then come back as needed; education is a lifelong thing.

jmho

gl

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]