Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2005, 02:23 PM

Default Re: are re-buy tournaments as dumb as they seem to me?

Almost all sites that I know of plan it out so that rebuys + addons eventually cover their "guarantee". For example, Prima has two big tournaments a day, both $20k guarantees. One is a 100+9 with 50 rebuys and 50 add-ons - about 100 people join, so that is $10k right there, and almost every time, rebuys + addons make the prize pool around $26k. The other $20k guarantee is a 10+1 with 10 rebuys and 10 add-ons. About 1000 people join that one, so again, that is already $10k in the pot, and rebuys/add-ons also make that prize pool around $26k.
Old 10-01-2005, 03:29 PM

Rebuys are generally a better deal as far as rake. Aside from Party Poker, there is generally no rake on rebuys or addons for online or live tournaments.
Old 10-01-2005, 04:00 PM

1) if the rebuy doesn't have a guarantee, then obviously the money goes to the prize pool.
2) if it does have a guarantee, then the guarantee is higher because of the rebuy. If the money "isn't going to the prize pool," that means that there's overlay, which means it's +EV for the average player to play, which means it's very +EV for 2+2ers to play.
Old 10-01-2005, 04:05 PM

[quote but if they offer rebuys and add ones, that money doesnt go to the prize pool, it goes straight to the site, to make up for the amount that they put up for hte prize pool so most of the time the site ends up showing a profit

[/ QUOTE ]
?????If the site doesn't meet the guarantee,then how are they making any profit?They are losing money.
I'm sorry but your logic,well,just isn't logical.
Old 10-01-2005, 04:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Rebuys are generally a better deal as far as rake. Aside from Party Poker, there is generally no rake on rebuys or addons for online or live tournaments.

[/ QUOTE ]
Party no longer charges a vig on rebuys and add ons.That's why I've started playing them and they are quite juicy.
Old 10-01-2005, 04:14 PM

i was under the assumption thats if there was an excess of money due to the rebuying and such that the excess went to the site and if it was say a 20,000 gauranteed, the prize pool stayed at exactly 20,000. so thats not the case?
Old 10-01-2005, 04:21 PM

Not at stars at least, if it gets over the guaranteed, its over, they don't chop money from the top.
Old 10-01-2005, 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i was under the assumption thats if there was an excess of money due to the rebuying and such that the excess went to the site and if it was say a 20,000 gauranteed, the prize pool stayed at exactly 20,000. so thats not the case?

[/ QUOTE ]

no way! why would anyone play a tournament when the company steals from the prizepool ( after already taking an entrty fee) 20k guaranteed just means it's ATLEAST 20k, not, exactly 20k
Old 10-01-2005, 05:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
thats just how i understand it works

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm a big believer in the idea that there's no stupid questions, and the purpose of this board is to exchange ideas and information for mutual improvement of our game, not matter what level we start at.

But this is simply stupid and a waste of the board members time.

If you (the OP) had bothered to take the time to actually watch a re-buy tournament instead of conjuring up your own out-of-this-world (mis)understanding there would have been no reason for this post, and for the time good posters have wasted trying to figure out what you were rambling about.

Before posting, read the FAQ and watch a game, please.

Best,

McMelchior (Johan)
Old 10-01-2005, 05:35 PM

i was confused and it was an honest mistakes. that being said, please feel free to eat my [censored].