Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2005, 04:25 AM

Default Re: From Barry Greenstein\'s book

[ QUOTE ]
In an episode out of my personal twilight zone, my wife picked up Barry's book and somehow turned directly to that page. The told me, "If you ever do that I am leaving you", in the most accusatory manner possible. Wtf Barry, she normally wouldn't read one page of my poker books!

[/ QUOTE ]

If you think that was a coincidence, you're kidding yourself.
Old 10-01-2005, 05:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What do you think of the last sentence? Is Barry right?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am 100% sure that it is possible to lose more than $40k per month on the internet. Since someone has to win it, it is very likely that Barry is right.
Old 10-01-2005, 11:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Barry writes:

Those few players who are willing to put in the time and are able to maintain greater than 2BB/100 can make more than a million dollars in a year. However, most players who are capable of doing that would have a better chance in live games, where it is possible to make that kind of money without getting burned out in the process."

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the internet player would definitely be burned out. However I don't think this player would necessarily be able to generate the same returns if he were to play live. To play that much on the internet would require extreme persistance more then world beating skills. To make that much with live play it seems you better be a world beater. You'd probably also have to be excellent at multiple games to play high stakes HORSE and whatnot. On the Internet you only really need to know holdem and don't need to be particularly good short handed. Lastly it seems the live player would get burnout too.

Very lastly if I was up 900k in a year with a month to go I'd be much more interested in taking a month long vacation then trying to win that last 100k. Especially considering I'd be in the 35% federal and probably 9% state tax bracket.

-f
Old 10-01-2005, 03:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Barry writes:

"A motivated high-stakes [internet] player . . . can play in two to four games at the same time, averaging around the $150-$300 limit for his total action. Playing fifty hours per week, four weeks per month, yeilds:

$300 * 1BB/100 hands
* 66 hands per hour [per table]
* 200 hours per month

= $40,000 per month.

[/ QUOTE ]

So if you're playing 2-4 tables at once why is the math only done for 66 hands an hour. The higher limit games play wayyyy faster than that anyways, and it isn't even done for multitabling. This math is so stupid because its so incredibly arbitrary. So pretend you play 75 hands per table, on 3 tables of on average $150-300 50 hours a week 48 weeks a year @ 1bb/100, that should be $1,620,000. Of course that is completely insane, but the math shown doesn't make any sense to me anyways.

[ QUOTE ]
Those few players who are willing to put in the time and are able to maintain greater than 2BB/100 can make more than a million dollars in a year. However, most players who are capable of doing that would have a better chance in live games, where it is possible to make that kind of money without getting burned out in the process."

[/ QUOTE ]

So you're making $1k an hour and you're suppose to go play live poker? Uh yea I dunno about you guys but I'd pass on that. How often do $500-1000 or $1000-2000 limit games go live? How much bigger of a bankroll would you need or want?

There are probably even a small ammount of players who make at least $2,00 an hour online playing the biggest of the big games, do the players in the $4k-$8k game even make that much?
Old 10-01-2005, 03:18 PM

those numbers are for 1 tabling. if the same player 3 tabled but only played 70h/month (or 16h/week) he would still make $40k. and since most people play more than 66h/hr/table (i personally play 100+) the person could actually play 50h/month and achieve the same 40K. so basically someone who played 2 hrs/day 6 days a week 3 tabling 150/300 and 100/200 could make somewhere between 30 and 60K a month depending on their winrate.
Old 10-01-2005, 04:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
$300 * 1BB/100 hands
* 66 hands per hour [per table]
* 200 hours per month

= $40,000 per month.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's 40,000 per month per table, so figue 3-6 tables, that's 120k to 240k per month. Course it's probably more like 1 or 2 tables 150/300 and 2-4 30/60 or so.
Old 10-01-2005, 04:47 PM

averaging around the $150-$300 limit for his total action
emphasis on total action.
Old 10-01-2005, 05:09 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

he's talking about "total action" via multitabling. 5 tables of 30/60, for example, would be "150/300".