Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2005, 11:45 PM

Default Re: posada sucks

[ QUOTE ]
He is a mediocre offensive player and a lousy defensive catcher.

[/ QUOTE ]

His offensive numbers are mediocre but actually above average for catchers around the league. Defensively, I haven't the vaguest notion what you're talking about--he throws out runners at a good clip, handles popups well and doesn't allow nearly the # of passed balls he did in years past.

Where Posada is lacking, especially compared to the other "home-grown" Yankees (Williams and Jeter) is his clutch hitting. His only significant hit in a playoff game or other big spot I can recall is the one that tied game 7 of the 2003 ALCS, and that was a bloop single off the end of the bat.
Old 09-30-2005, 11:46 PM

Default Re: Torre has himself to blame for the loss

[ QUOTE ]
Walking Ortiz with a man on second and one out in the 6th with Ramirez coming up, with a rookie pitcher with bad control, was inexcusable. That's what lost the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was a terrible decision, but it probably didn't lose the game. Or at least, the Sox would have had a good chance to win had they not walked Ortiz.
Old 10-01-2005, 02:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Walking Ortiz with a man on second and one out in the 6th with Ramirez coming up, with a rookie pitcher with bad control, was inexcusable. That's what lost the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was a terrible decision, but it probably didn't lose the game. Or at least, the Sox would have had a good chance to win had they not walked Ortiz.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is it a bad decision? Unless Ortiz somehow creates 2 outs, Manny is coming up with a guy on 2nd if not 3rd. Instead of facing both guys, why not face 1 guy who may ground into a DP?
Old 10-01-2005, 02:34 AM

The DP theory would make sense if you were only worried about 1 run crossing the plate, like the bottom of the 9th or bottom of an extra inning...but, it was still early in the game and you don't want Manny to hit a homerun. And this is increased since you are going to pitch to him. Ortiz is a monster this year, but Manny is still the better overall hitter.

craig
Old 10-01-2005, 02:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The DP theory would make sense if you were only worried about 1 run crossing the plate, like the bottom of the 9th or bottom of an extra inning...but, it was still early in the game and you don't want Manny to hit a homerun. And this is increased since you are going to pitch to him. Ortiz is a monster this year, but Manny is still the better overall hitter.

craig

[/ QUOTE ]

True, Manny also hit the first pitch hard enough to knock over the camera guy up in the left field seats. But, I didn't really think it was that bad of a move. Ortiz has over 20 RBI's against NY this year.
Old 10-01-2005, 02:55 AM

I just want to say I'm born and raised in western NY, and while all my friends love the Yankees, I grew up in Rochester(which use to be the orioles farm team) and have always hated them. I can't say I'm a true Sox fan,(I've only followed them for the past five years) I'm more of a fan of the yankees losing. I mean, I absoultly hate the yanks. I hate their owner, I hate how they try and buy a championship every year(they are the reason there needs to be a salary cap), and i hate their fans excuses for their evil deeds. The yankees are the only team they show on t.v. up here(besides the braves) and Posada and Matsui are the only true blue ball players on that team. why aren't you talking about A-Rods error, or giambi's sweet throw to the plate?
Old 10-01-2005, 03:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
why aren't you talking about A-Rods error

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not talk about the fact that A-Rod hit 2 fly balls a combined 800 feet in which any other stadiums they would be HR's? Or the fact that his error had no bearing on the outcome of the game? Or the fact that is 1st inning walk and stolen base led to the Yankees first run?
Or do you just hate the Yankees in general and can't stand the fact he's a good player?
Old 10-01-2005, 03:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is it a bad decision? Unless Ortiz somehow creates 2 outs, Manny is coming up with a guy on 2nd if not 3rd. Instead of facing both guys, why not face 1 guy who may ground into a DP?

[/ QUOTE ]
Intentionally walking Big Papa is a big mistake. they should have just pitched aroung him. throw some pitches way off the plate. Maybe He'll walk, or maybe he will chase something. Intentionally walking ortiz, just fires up Manny... which is a big mistake
Old 10-01-2005, 03:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The DP theory would make sense if you were only worried about 1 run crossing the plate, like the bottom of the 9th or bottom of an extra inning...

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, in 2005, the odds of scoring at least 1 run have been slightly higher with a man on 1st and 2nd and 1 out than a man on 2nd and 1 out. The DP is balanced out by the walk causing a man to advance to 3rd, where another walk, a sacrifice fly, or even a poor throw to the plate can result in a run scored.
Old 10-01-2005, 03:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i cant wait to see mussina get lit up like a christmas tree on sunday

[/ QUOTE ]

didn't you hear? Mussina pwns. At least, that's what Dead used to say.

[/ QUOTE ]

What the hell happened to him anyway?