Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2005, 04:32 AM

Default Re: I drink too much soda

[ QUOTE ]

Oh, this brings up another question: since diet soda is mainly just carbonated water and a couple chemicals, what % of my daily water intake should I include in soda? Like, if I drink a 12 oz. can, which is probably over 11.8 oz. of carbonated water plus 0.2 oz of chemicals, should I say I've had 11.8 oz. of water so far that day? Or should I discount because of the chemicals and say 10 oz.? 6 oz? Zero?

[/ QUOTE ]

Some doctor on our local news said diet soda is effectively water for what you're describing. Of course, he could have been a quack. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 09-30-2005, 04:46 AM

as to #1

from http://www.rawstory.com/exclusives/c..._rinds_721.htm

[ QUOTE ]

Diet soda's, including C2 and Pepsi Edge, contain aspartame, sometimes marketed as NutraSweet.

Aspartame, meanwhile, has been documented to have over 92 different side effects ranging from seizures to slurred speech. Aspartame, via methanol poisoning, mimics the symptoms of Multiple Sclerosis, when individuals experiencing these symptoms discontinued use of aspartame products the symptoms dissipated. According to Dr. Wurtman, a professor of neuroendocrinology at MIT, an individual who consumes four to five aspartame sweetened drinks per day for a prolonged period is putting themselves at the risk of affecting their brain's neurotransmitters. This interference can result in irritability, moodswings, anxiety, insomnia, migraine headaches and depression.

While the risks of aspartame appear great, the product in diet sodas may also be responsible for promoting weight gain — as counterintuitive as it may seem. The sweet taste of diet soda creates a cephalic phase response that causes the liver to prepare to receive sugar. When no sugar appears, the liver prompts the body to eat, which can result in increased hunger and over eating. Diet sodas also contain caffeine. Caffeine consumption can cause overindulgence when the body confuses the hunger and thirst sensations.

[/ QUOTE ]

from WebMD
[ QUOTE ]

The Mad Hatter Theory

"Take some more tea," the March Hare said to Alice, very earnestly.
"I've had nothing yet," Alice replied in an offended tone, "so I can't take more."
"You mean you can't take less," said the Hatter: "It's very easy to take more than nothing." Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

There is actually a way that diet drinks could contribute to weight gain, Fowler suggests.

She remembers being struck by the scene in Alice's Adventures in Wonderland in which Alice is offended because she is offered tea but is given none -- even though she hadn't asked for tea in the first place. So she helps herself to tea and bread and butter.

That may be just what happens when we offer our bodies the sweet taste of diet drinks, but give them no calories. Fowler points to a recent study in which feeding artificial sweeteners to rat pups made them crave more calories than animals fed real sugar.

"If you offer your body something that tastes like a lot of calories, but it isn't there, your body is alerted to the possibility that there is something there and it will search for the calories promised but not delivered," Fowler says.

Perhaps, Bonci says, our bodies are smarter than we think.

"People think they can just fool the body. But maybe the body isn't fooled," she says. "If you are not giving your body those calories you promised it, maybe your body will retaliate by wanting more calories. Some soft drink studies do suggest that diet drinks stimulate appetite.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-30-2005, 05:27 AM

I'm as skinny as a twig, so I'm not really concerned about diet sodas causing me weight gain.

As for the aspartame, I'm aware of its drawbacks, but as I said I drink a good amount of Diet Coke w/ Splenda and Diet Hansen's. Neither has aspartame.
Old 09-30-2005, 05:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm as skinny as a twig, so I'm not really concerned about diet sodas causing me weight gain.

As for the aspartame, I'm aware of its drawbacks, but as I said I drink a good amount of Diet Coke w/ Splenda and Diet Hansen's. Neither has aspartame.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're skinn as a twig, just drink the regular soda. Why ingest chemicals for no reason?
Old 09-30-2005, 05:33 AM

Yes, everyone that doesn't like diet soda likes to preach about how bad aspartame is. Does it make you feel better for drinking your sugar filled softdrinks? Maybe..

Show me some articles from a real trusted scientific source and I will take them seriously...

In the meantime, here are some relevant reviews I could find at PubMed:
Aspartame. Review of safety issues. Council on Scientific Affairs.
"... Available evidence suggests that consumption of aspartame by normal humans is safe and is not associated with serious adverse health effects. "

Aspartame: review of safety.
"... The safety testing of aspartame has gone well beyond that required to evaluate the safety of a food additive. When all the research on aspartame, including evaluations in both the premarketing and postmarketing periods, is examined as a whole, it is clear that aspartame is safe, and there are no unresolved questions regarding its safety under conditions of intended use."
Old 09-30-2005, 05:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
GoT, Catch of the Day and I made a bet at the beginning of the summer that for every soda someone drank they owed $20 to the group. We made an exception for mixed drinks (e.g. rum and coke), but other than that no soda. It's pretty easy after a few days. Stop buying so that it's not in your fridge and it won't be that hard.

[/ QUOTE ]
You failed to mention that you were the only one of us that broke the bet. I want my $6.67.

GoT
Old 09-30-2005, 05:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, everyone that doesn't like diet soda likes to preach about how bad aspartame is. Does it make you feel better for drinking your sugar filled softdrinks? Maybe..

Show me some articles from a real trusted scientific source and I will take them seriously...

In the meantime, here are some relevant reviews I could find at PubMed:
Aspartame. Review of safety issues. Council on Scientific Affairs.
"... Available evidence suggests that consumption of aspartame by normal humans is safe and is not associated with serious adverse health effects. "

Aspartame: review of safety.
"... The safety testing of aspartame has gone well beyond that required to evaluate the safety of a food additive. When all the research on aspartame, including evaluations in both the premarketing and postmarketing periods, is examined as a whole, it is clear that aspartame is safe, and there are no unresolved questions regarding its safety under conditions of intended use."

[/ QUOTE ]

Whatever, there are multiple studies saying aspartame and sucralose are either safe or unsafe.

The point is, a can of soda has 110 calories. It's not gonna kill you. Why ingest synthetic materials for no reason?
Old 09-30-2005, 05:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The point is, a can of soda has 110 calories. It's not gonna kill you. Why ingest synthetic materials for no reason?

[/ QUOTE ]

1) 110 calories is a reason. Also, taste is a reason. Some people like the taste of diet soda more than regular soda.

2) You think because your coke uses sugar that you aren't ingesting synthetic materials? Take a look at the contents of your coke sometime... For that matter, take a look at the contents of most packaged foods and drinks.
Old 09-30-2005, 05:55 AM

I don't even drink soda.

So I guess if you prefer the taste of diet, keep it up.
Old 09-30-2005, 06:00 AM

i started treating pop like the olden days, where it was a novelty desert type thing, over two years ago. It really tastes awesome when i do drink it, which is hardly ever. Thats my philosophy on a lot of vices, like drugs. pop is the devil and will make you thirsty, jittery, and fat.