Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-30-2005, 01:40 AM

Default Doctors - Treating Diseases Instead of Preventing them

So I've recently picked up this health book called Natural Hormonal Enhancement. Its basically a book that teaches you how to manipulate your own hormones to gain muscle, improve your health, and improve your body composition (less fat more muscle)

Before he gets to the good stuff. The Author brings up a few interesting points. All are backed up with references/studies. (the book itself references over 1700 studies)

Here are a few things he talks about in great length I was unaware of and surprised to read. Words in italic are straight from the book. Comments in bold are my own interpration of the previous quote.

"In general, orthodox beliefs die slow, painful deaths. At the same time, the presumption of being mistaken automatically attches to those who dissent from widely accepted principles. Compounding the inertia of conventional thoughts that "experts" often have more difficulty than other admitting their mistakes because being wrong on a major issues would be viwed, by some, as invalidating their status of expert."

In other words, it is possible for a doctor to give incorrect advice to a patient knowing it is wrong, because it is the popular belief of his field

A doctor or scientist who dissenter's from the confines of the intellecual community by disavowing the offical dogma ricks being branded as a quack.

He goes on to give the example of Galileo and 5-6 more. Even a recent "breakthrough" in heart disease treatment which was originated back in the 70's, but only now is accepted as fact. This is the part where I start reading the book like a madman, only 1 in 10,000 americans live to be over 100, I want to be one of them.

Where is the outrage and grief for the millions of people who have suffered and died because of the institutional indifference toward, and denial of, alternative health care approaches.

Indeed

here is a part of the chapter which I found very surprising.

Part of the problem is that nowhere in the world can one earn an advanced degree denoting experience in health promotion and disease prevention. Instead, we have a world full of doctors who, although they provide an indispensable service to society, are trained to cure and treat diseases, many of which arise from the failure to take appropriate health-promoting, disease-preventative measure.

Upon beginning medical school, students are indoctrinated into a view of health care devoid any concept of the meaning of health or how to promote it. It is largely for this reason doctors more readily prescribe expensive drugs of questional efficacy bearing adverse side effects than recommend cheap, harmless nutrients which are proven to reduce risk factors for deadly diseases

I think in some cases this is true. When I was younger and overweight I suffered from back problems. I went to my doctor and he prescribed me some pain drugs and recommended I take it easy for a while..I did this and suffered for months, then suddently I joined a gym started to eat right, lost over 100ibs and now I have zero pain in my back, or anywhere else for that matter. My doctor's recommendation should of been to get my fat ass off the couch and learn how to fuel my body correctly. Nope, drugs for me.I have dated a PA (Physicians assistant) and you would not believe how much money they make for every surgery/procedure they do. Doctors would make very little money if everyone was healthy.

Our health-care system should be concerned solely with caring for peoples' health. Caring for health entails promoting health, a concept alien to our current system in which crisis intervention, sympton control, and disease treatment predominate.

Think about it, right now the "experts" tell us that fat makes us fat and to avoid it. A high carb low fat diet is best. This is simply not true.

Now my response after reading this was "great, now I get to pay 45.99 for his perfect health system/ whatever hes trying to sell"

well, after reading the book I found nothing of the sort. He doesnt try to sell anything, nowhere in the book does he say "go out and buy this" he simply explains what needs to be done and why, giving tons of references. Its up to the reader to do it.

This book is fairly new, and after reading it I realized that it contained everything and more of what I have learned in the past 3 years reading, posting on forums and reading books. It may just spark a lot of interest once people find out about it.

so, what do you guys think? do doctors really focus on treating diseases and not preventing them in the first place? I admit his points make sense and he seems to be unbiased. Has anyone experienced something like I did?

or are doctors not to blame for how obese/unhealthy we are. Its our own fault and doctors do try to help but people in general dont listen.