Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2005, 12:15 AM

Default Re: What\'s the worst 200 hand stretch you\'ve had? (NC)

che played ML?
Old 09-29-2005, 12:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
hour till this thread gets locked

[/ QUOTE ]

58 Minutes. If you guys really want me to leave these threads unlocked, send me a PM and I'll reconsider. I can always unlock if you want to see more. I'll even bump it, just for you. So far, however, I've been getting an overwhelmingly positive response from the choices I've made of threads to lock.

Always remember: no bad beat whine or brag post will ever be locked, mocked, or rocked if it's put in the Designated NC Thread.
Old 09-29-2005, 10:36 AM

I got a PM with a request and an argument for me to unlock this thread. I'm not overly enthusiastic about releasing it back into the wild, but we'll see what happens.

You may resume posting your worst 200 hand stretches (or perhaps discussing my lock/unlock decisions)......NOW!
Old 09-29-2005, 10:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I got a PM with a request and an argument for me to unlock this thread. I'm not overly enthusiastic about releasing it back into the wild, but we'll see what happens.

You may resume posting your worst 200 hand stretches (or perhaps discussing my lock/unlock decisions)......NOW!

[/ QUOTE ]

lock

isn't 200 hands like 50 minutes? Come on guys, who cares? Let's talk about all the hands you misplayed in those 200 hands, which should only be about 40 preflop, 4-6 after the flop, and maybe none on the river.
Old 09-29-2005, 11:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Today I dropped 50 Big bets in about 200 hands. Make me feel better about myself and tell me your record.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll actually give you the advice you need to hear. You might not like it...

There's a possibility that your losing 50 BB in 200 hands was due to variance. Someone here once said that poker is like a chess game that you play for $1, followed by a coin flip you play for $10. That's very true.

But -- and I'm being sincere her -- I doubt it was due to bad luck. It was probably due to bad play. For one thing, it's more likely that at least some of your results were due to bad play. For another, conceding your results to bad luck just gives you an excuse to not improve your game.

You should assume that you screwed up, and that's why you lose. That way you can get better. How do you get better? That's the good part.

Start contributing to this forum. Post your strategy advice to other people's hand threads. Tell us what Hero's action should be, and more importantly why. If you're wrong you'll get corrected. It will be good for you and good for everyone else who reads the thread. If you can take the criticism (it will sometimes be harsh, be prepared), you can go very far by just contributing to this forum.

Good luck, and I hope we see some real content from you soon.
Old 09-29-2005, 12:13 PM

Funny this should be posted - I dropped a similar amount in an hour or two the other day, probably my worst day ever I think.

Perhaps some content is in order. Did I misplay either of these hands?

PokerStars 2/4 Hold'em (5 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB caps</font>, UTG calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (12.50 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (9.25 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG calls $3 (All-In), <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (16 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players, 1 all-in)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 18 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
BB has Ah Ad (one pair, aces).
UTG has Jh As (high card, ace).
Hero has Kc Kh (one pair, kings).
Outcome: BB wins 18 BB. </font>

PokerStars 2/4 Hold'em (6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (3 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, MP calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, BB calls, MP calls.

Turn: (6 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, MP calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, BB calls, MP calls.

River: (15 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, MP checks.

Final Pot: 15 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has 4s Ah (two pair, aces and fours).
BB has 7c 9h (two pair, nines and sevens).
MP has Ad 7h (two pair, aces and sevens).
Outcome: MP wins 15 BB. </font>

Maybe I screwed up somewhere, but luck still plays a role in this game, doesn't it? Comments appreciated as always.
Old 09-29-2005, 12:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But -- and I'm being sincere her -- I doubt it was due to bad luck. It was probably due to bad play. For one thing, it's more likely that at least some of your results were due to bad play. For another, conceding your results to bad luck just gives you an excuse to not improve your game.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is very good advice. When I first started playing, I felt horrible when losing a few hands. Then I read here about the effects of variance, and I took the "it's just variance" line. Now, I realize that my swings are usually tilt-induced. I get a bad beat or make a pretty poor decision, then loose my sense. I start making many more poor decisions and end up losing big.

Now, when I'm playing poorly, I stop. I try to look back at hands playe and find some mistakes - maybe where I pushed too hard, called an obvious check/raise made hand, or maybe even folded to a questionable check/raise in a big pot.

Good advice, Grunch. Hopefully more will listen.
Old 09-29-2005, 12:16 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">En respuesta a:</font><hr />

[/ QUOTE ]

wookie is so [censored] [censored] [censored] i [censored] [censored] can you believe him? [censored] [censored] [censored] idiot
Old 09-29-2005, 12:37 PM

While my sarcasm detector is beeping like crazy, it's awfully tempting to ignore it and try out my as-yet-unused banning stick. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-29-2005, 12:51 PM

Hand 1: I wouldn't not have raised the turn. Others may criticize, but I just don't see the point. By raising you're hoping the BB is a nut case with QQ or JJ. I don't see it.

Hand 2: I'm not completing this. I'm either raising to isolate the weak limper, or I'm folding becasue A4o is trash.

At least you played it on the flop like you got the sort of flop you complete with A4 for. (If you see what I'm saying). The BB's stop &amp; go's look to me like some kind of marginal top pair or funky junky 2-pair. The MP calling everything in the world is a big concern, however. By the time the river falls, I suspect he's planning to punce and I'll just check-call 1 on the river too. I think overall you played fine, except you shouldn't have been involved in the first place.