Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2005, 07:12 PM

Default Re: Another AK OOP Hand...

I might check call the river here as he hasn't shown any indications of wanting to push the river based on his previous street bet amounts.
Old 09-28-2005, 07:15 PM

It's a tough spot.. What about leading for 14$ on the turn? If he then flat calls with KQ or AK he should be content to check river. If he has something weaker he should fold. If he raises you can fold. If he just calls, and then bets the river it gets tough.. Call a reasonable bet, fold if he puts you allin?
Old 09-28-2005, 07:20 PM

This is the problem I have with TPTK or an overpair . . . by the time I figure out that I'm beat, the odds to call are usually so good that I just do it. I don't see how you can't call $12 to win >$80 here with TPTK and no flush/obvious straight. Do others feel folding is correct here?
Old 09-28-2005, 07:21 PM

You like the check/call on the turn ameoba, or is a stop and go the proper response to a flop raise?
Old 09-28-2005, 07:26 PM

stop and go slightly better as you will charge something like a semibluffing flush draw.

check and decide allows you the advantage of knowing what he has for cheaper though as flush draws likely don't bet the turn again.

so tradeoffs with both.
Old 09-28-2005, 07:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If he just calls, and then bets the river it gets tough.. Call a reasonable bet, fold if he puts you allin?

[/ QUOTE ]
That's a good question. I'm really not sure what the proper play would be... there are a lot of options, and a lot of subtle little factors that you have to take into account. Maybe check/fold, reasoning he'd check a hand that ties me behind but value bet something that beats me?
Old 09-28-2005, 07:36 PM

If you're going to bet into him on the river, you have to call your remainding 12 bucks. There's a good chance at a split or winner here, enough to make the call suck, but it needs to be done. If he has AA, KK... oh well.
Old 09-28-2005, 07:48 PM

Is it really likely for villain to smooth-call the pre-flop raise w/ AA or KK? I think it's much more likely that villian has 44 or 99 for the set.
Old 09-28-2005, 08:04 PM

Hey John,

I don't think AK raises this river. I don't think anything I'm beating raises this river. I've shown a lot of strength with my blocker bet here... the point of the bet is to set my price for showdown, so if he raises and I call anyway because I'm getting good odds, the bet is pointless.
Old 09-28-2005, 08:35 PM

I see lots of smooth calls and limp/calls with big pocket pairs, especially aces.