Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2005, 01:52 PM

Default Re: JJ on a raggy flop, facing action.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What if CO is taking a free card here?

[/ QUOTE ]
After capping the flop?!? That doesn't sound like something that an opponent who "plays OK" would do. Also, if he was on the draw why would he force out the Button?

[/ QUOTE ]
I could see a hand like A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] or 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] playing like that, or some equally monstrous draw. Cap the flop for value and check the turn through if it's a brick.

Why would he raise the button out? Maybe he also has Hero's read and thinks that the Button is going nowhere fast and is willing and able to pad the pot. No reason to not give people a reason to call two cold if they will.

(Also regarding the river, after thinking about it for a bit I think I like bet/folding it now, depending on how strong your read is.)

-K
Old 09-28-2005, 01:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
After capping the flop?!? That doesn't sound like something that an opponent who "plays OK" would do. Also, if he was on the draw why would he force out the Button?

[/ QUOTE ]

My sentiments exactly.

Ready for the showdown: A9 hearts. I think he thought all his outs were good, not discounting any even though I raised from sb. Either way, he played his hand ok. He had a ton of equity on that flop, and was right to get money in.

When I lead the turn and he raised, I was happy to be HU but thought I might be behind. I was generally confused in this one and really surprised to find out that I was ahead until the river. That was the reason I was questioning myself so much after the hand. I went from thinking I was ahead and trying get bets in and protect pot, to thinking I was behind.
Old 09-28-2005, 02:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
After capping the flop?!? That doesn't sound like something that an opponent who "plays OK" would do.

[/ QUOTE ]

What's wrong with capping (for example) a nut-flush draw here and checking behind the turn? You've a smidgen of +EV on the flop 3-handed, so why not try to get the free card?

[ QUOTE ]
Also, if he was on the draw why would he force out the Button?

[/ QUOTE ]
To get a free card? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 09-28-2005, 02:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What's wrong with capping (for example) a nut-flush draw here and checking behind the turn? You've a smidgen of +EV on the flop 3-handed, so why not try to get the free card?

[/ QUOTE ]
What's wrong in this hand is that he's not only capping the PF raiser (who also now bet/3-bet the flop) but, he's also capping in front of the 3rd player. He's putting in too much against continued aggression and his flop cap threatens to force out dead money. This situation isn't a "free" card (or even "cheap" card) play however - CO is putting in 2BBs on the flop! With no indication that he's going to be checked to on the turn. IMO, CO grossly overplayed his hand on the flop. I mean - why not put 1.5BBs in (flop + turn) and know that the Button is going to be around at showdown to pay you off.

If there was 1 or two more players and the action went bet, raise, 3-bet - I'm fine with capping it there - but that's a value cap with a flush draw + overcards and also serves to tie one-pair players with 5 outs to the pot.

Side Note: I think a great line for the CO here would've been to call the flop and then raise on the turn when he hit his nine. If he doesn't improve on the river he can always check-behind for the free showdown.
Old 09-28-2005, 02:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What if CO is taking a free card here? There's a few draws he'd check behind with that we want to charge.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he capped as a free card play, he (over) paid for it. I think a turn check is fine.
Old 09-28-2005, 01:45 PM

considering the flop action, you leading the turn only is padding the pot for the other guy and isn't really you getting the other guy to protect your hand.

GIven your reads there's nothing saying that the CO is over aggro post flop. It looks like you're either up against a set or made straight. I'm just calling it down after the flop and just hope that he has a hand like 88, 44, 77, or a grossly overplayed A6