Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2003, 03:52 PM

Default Re: High prices at the pump

What does not driving have to do with it? (Is it anti-American?)

I think fixated is a bit strong. I have a strong interested in US politics; my wife's American and I've spent a lot of time in the US. You also probably don't realise how much American news we get over here - a lot. Furthermore the ramifications of Bush's election are not exactly confined to the US - sadly. I was in the States during the election debacle which might have a lot to do with my interest in Bush's election, which I think was illegitimate. But mainly I play poker and when I came across this forum I found having discussions on it quite fun. I could start discussions on UK or Irish politics but I doubt I'd get many takers.
Old 05-14-2003, 04:43 PM

You seeemed concerned about any oil interests our President may have yet you stated you don't even drive so the price of fuel is not important to you. On a regular basis you seek out articles critical of our President with no concern as to their veracity yet live in a teeny weeny country very far away. Yes I do consider this an unhealthy fixation.
Old 05-15-2003, 12:39 AM

Default Sure It Sounds Bad . . .

when you put it like that and take everything out of context.

John
Old 05-15-2003, 01:44 AM

I'm not saying Europeans are dumb if they don't agree with us on all or even on most counts. However specifically saying Bush is the greatest threat to world peace is, IMO, pretty senseless.

Also, I don't think you were posting here when I made a series of scathing posts about how Americans have been getting dumber on average in recent years. More informed, but less capable of using that information to derive logical conclusions. In this series of posts I also roundly criticized American culture as being tasteless, crude and lacking in education as compared to European culture.

Old 05-15-2003, 01:49 AM

Actually the price of fuel is very important to nickyg even if he doesn't drive. The overtaxation of fuel in Europe raises the prices of most everything else nicky buys, because it costs more to deliver everything except perhaps email. This in turn raises the prices of almost all goods and services.
Old 05-15-2003, 01:02 PM

"You seeemed concerned about any oil interests our President may have yet you stated you don't even drive so the price of fuel is not important to you"

Right. When have I even mentioned fuel prices, aprt from respondng to M's question about why they were high in Europe? I don't suppose it occurs to you that there are any other possible concerns regarding Bush's oil links than gas prices? Like environmental issues, motivations behind the war, global energy issues, corporate influence etc? I realise you don't believe those are actual problems but even you will agree the oil industry is relevant to more than just gasoline prices. The people who have the President's ear are of legitimate interest whoever they are.

As for deliberately searching out articles, as I said both of those were emailed to me within five minutes of each other. They're just the usual email round robins everyone gets, which I thought some people might find interesting. I don't recall ever posting other articles about Bush - I may have posted one or two but certainly not on a regular basis. Almost all of the other articles I've posted have been about the war or Israel.

You are really quite a perverse individual if you think noone outside the US can have any legitimate interest in the man who occupies the most powerful political position in the world. As I said in the last article many of Bush's policies have affected people worldwide.
Old 05-15-2003, 01:32 PM

Default Fair enough (n/t)

Old 05-15-2003, 02:30 PM

Default Re: Fair enough (n/t)

...and by the way nicky I certainly don't think you're dumb;-) Also I apologize for the tone of the initial remark.
Old 05-15-2003, 03:25 PM

"You are really quite a perverse individual if you think noone outside the US can have any legitimate interest in the man who occupies the most powerful political position in the world. As I said in the last article many of Bush's policies have affected people worldwide.

Why yes I am quite perverse but that has nothing to do with my views regarding your obsession.

"? I don't suppose it occurs to you that there are any other possible concerns regarding Bush's oil links than gas prices? Like environmental issues, motivations behind the war, global energy issues, corporate influence etc? I realise you don't believe those are actual problems but even you will agree the oil industry is relevant to more than just gasoline prices. The people who have the President's ear are of legitimate interest whoever they are.

I do agree that more than fuel prices are relevant though not much more. As far as to whom the president seeks counsel from it is to be expected that successful businessmen would have his ear rather than street peddlers or foreign critics. To believe otherwise is truly naive.

Old 05-15-2003, 05:54 PM

Default You Forgot....

Slept with an Intern - Whoops. That was two democrats

Lied to a federal Grand Jury and the nation point blank. Crap. Wrong again. That was Slick Willie.

Protected the American people, kicked a$#% and cleaned up the mess left by the gutless weenies that preceded him (whose inaction led to the deaths of 3,000 Americans and shattered the American feeling of security). Yep. Got that one right.

Let the world know that the US was not to be f#$@% with. That was him too.

Is the "hate America" crowd still sore about the election?