Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2003, 10:13 AM

Default Re: What to read next?

Real Poker II, ABSOLUTELY, unless you have already read all of Roy Cooke's articles. It contains only limit hold'em hands from real play taken from his column, and it gives the most detailed examples of hand reading and player/game specific adjustments I have seen anywhere. From this book you truly learn about all the stuff that a world-class player considers when he thinks about how to play a hand. Whether you agree with the decisions he makes or not doesn't matter, that is a matter of judgement and experience. What is important is the thought process he goes through.

John Feeney's book is very good. I also recommend Mason's essays.
Old 05-16-2003, 08:11 PM

Default Re: Don\'t tilt - tightly.

Well... okay then. I'll save the hemlock for now. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 05-17-2003, 12:54 PM

In my opinion, I think you have some of the best books. You should re-read the top 5 again, and then re-read theory of poker after you finished the top 5.
John, I really enjoyed you're book, i've read it once cover to cover, and came back to a lot of articles for a second or third time. At the moment I'm only an online player, but you're book and a few others and a lot of hard thinking, has brought me from a steady micro limit winner to a steady 2/4 to 5/10 limit winner in under 4 months. Quite the improvement.
As for recommendations, I really liked ciaffone's Middle Limit Hold'em book. Studying his book will really benefit striving poker student. ** remember his book is aimed at Middle limits, the limits which are usually a little tougher.

Old 05-18-2003, 01:43 PM

I would read (and re-read) all of these: Brier/Ciafonne, Feeney, and Roy Cooke's, The Play of Hands.

For someone who is not a beginner and does not take a fundamentalist view of their advice, Middle Limit Holdem Poker is the BOMB.

Feeney's book is a joy to read, although all you really learn is to play tight and not tilt. Just kidding [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] , there is so much in this book of value. I love it.

The Cooke book doesn't get a lot of play here, I think partly because it is a re-hash of his previous book which is a re-hash of his CardPlayer columns. Anyone who call pull this off is should be crafty enough to kick ass at cards. Actually with Feeney and Cooke, you get insight into what a skilled pro is thinking as he plays, really amazing stuff.
Old 05-19-2003, 09:03 PM

Feeney's book is a joy to read, although all you really learn is to play tight and not tilt. Just kidding , there is so much in this book of value. I love it.

Good recovery. The hemlock stays sealed.

Of course we all know it also teaches you to maybe look for subtle tells - or maybe not.

Hey, that's important, I think!! [img]/forums/images/icons/ooo.gif[/img]
Old 05-19-2003, 09:56 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

id read one that you have coming on order. why buy another if you have 3 to read on the shelf?

b
Old 05-22-2003, 07:25 AM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
id read one that you have coming on order. why buy another if you have 3 to read on the shelf?

[/ QUOTE ]Well, after all it often takes a few weeks (1-3) to get the books. So if I wait until I'm done with those I already have, I won't have anything new to read. Conjelco is usually a little faster than Amazon.
Old 05-22-2003, 09:51 AM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

i see 3 books missing in your list. and man, are they great.

poker essays 1, 2 and 3 by our very own mr. malmuth

i just got done with all of em. lots of stuff to make you think about your game.

b
Old 05-26-2003, 05:35 PM

Looks like you haven't read "Middle Limit Holdem Poker" by Bob Ciaffone and Jim Brier. Like you I've read most of the popular books. This is the best and most instructive by far. It has 500 discussions of actual hands.
Old 05-27-2003, 09:48 AM

As I have stated here before, there is no question in my mind the next book is Poker Essays III, but there are a lot of book sthat you could get and be helping yourself a lot.

Dan Z.