Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2005, 04:11 PM

Default Re: take the free card or bet again?

Point well-taken.
Old 09-26-2005, 04:51 PM

I bet that turn 'cause that 9 is a possible scare card. Move out a poorly played OESD, or Ace
Old 09-26-2005, 05:17 PM

I would never bet that turn. Its a scare card for you imo. Many people call with second pair.
Old 09-26-2005, 05:35 PM

Take the free card on 4th. You have 3 almost-certain outs. Your overcard outs may have been counterfeited by the board pair.

I take the freebie, and check/fold the river if I don't hit. You're acting last and trips should bet the river (of course this is a .50/1.00 PP table...so who knows what they might do.)
Old 09-26-2005, 05:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
With this coordinated flop, I feel they could easily be on draws so maybe I should bet the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

You are absolutely right. This 9 is only a slightly scary card as well. There are a ton of combinations you could be against, very few of which are beating you (there's now one less 9 to worry about). If you had an ace here, you should definily bet the turn as there is a good chance you will win unimproved on the river and can safely check behind. The fact that you have 10 possible outs (2 of which should be discounted as they are hearts) and will likely have to bet the turn and river to win the pot (as you need to fold any ace) would lean me towards checking behind here.
Old 09-26-2005, 06:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would never bet that turn. Its a scare card for you imo. Many people call with second pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a scare card for villains. Would you expect villains to try a c/r after it was checked around at the flop? More often they would just bet their trips on the turn. Since Hero did not raise PF, this turn card works is more in his favor. I like betting the turn. This bluff only has to work once in 5 times to be successful.
Old 09-27-2005, 12:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a scare card for villains. Would you expect villains to try a c/r after it was checked around at the flop? More often they would just bet their trips on the turn. Since Hero did not raise PF, this turn card works is more in his favor. I like betting the turn. This bluff only has to work once in 5 times to be successful.

[/ QUOTE ]

Also, the presence of that extra 9 makes the chances of him holding another 9 less.
Old 09-27-2005, 12:11 AM

blindpost:

take the free card on the turn. at .5/1 many won't fold. You don't have the pot equity for a bet to be profitable.

As miller 'might' say it "this is a perfect example of 'the free card' play"

Don't bluff at .5/1 with K high.

thoughts??????
Old 09-27-2005, 01:41 AM

Raise Pre-flop.

Bet flop.

Take the free card.

I like your line based on how you played it for sure. If you choose to limp KQ, as you did, the line from there looks good to me.
Old 09-27-2005, 03:56 AM

Personally, I would think that any player who knew what he was doing (if he had a 9) would likely have raised your bet on the flop.

Since all you got were calls on the flop, I would say a turn bet is most definitely in order because that second 9 is a huge scare card, and unless you are up against savvy players who might play back at you (do we know who they are at this table? or are there any?), everyone is more likely to fold, especially since you led the betting on the flop. However, if the entire table is a pack of calling stations, a bluff or even a semi-bluff is out of place here, since part of the value derived from a semi-bluff comes from the chance that your opponent(s) might fold.

Let us back up, though, and state that a raise preflop here would have been in order, and it would have set you up even better for post flop aggression to add to a bluff or semi-bluff line. But, even though you didn't raise PF, now that you bet the flop, the turn can appear (if you bet) to have improved your hand, I say bet it. If anyone has a 9, they will either call or raise you, and you were likely going to pay on the river anyway if anyone bet, so you might as well get it out of the way now, and hope they all fold (FE is high)

If you raise the turn and get called, you can bet on the river when your K drops. If you raise the turn and get re-raised or c/r'd, you have to consider whether or not that raiser is capable of bluffing or even slow playing. Might they be holding another set of trips that just made them a boat? Maybe, but the chance is so rare that I will simply be a little more cautious, IF the player is capable. Then a crying call is in order on the river since the pot is likely big enough. But, we aren't really concerned with the river here, so I will leave that alone. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]