Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2005, 03:01 AM

Default Re: Hand vs Sklansky

Nice river bet given his turn call but I am not so sure that the turn donkbet is required.

Given that this is one of your first hands with him and you guys share no history, about the only hand that David may check the turn with is AA (which of course would work out right for you given your holding). But the point is that there is no fear of you giving out a free card by checking as the money is going in anyway.

Betting the turn has its problems:

1. He might fold an Ace high hand and you don't want that.

2. He might raise with a hand worse than yours. But that's not so bad if (as I suspect) you were planning on calling a raise. Come to think of it, perhaps that's the driving force behind your bet.

3. He has a better hand like TT and raises for value (I think he probably just calls your turn bet with AA or KK).

But overall, I want to play this hand for just 2 big bets after the flop and the way to do that is to checkcall turn and bet river.

There are no metagame considerations here because:

a. You have had no hands with him yet;

b. In about another 20 minutes, David would have figured out that this was not such a great game and would have hit the road. I say that not in a manner condescending to David. I am sure he can more than hold his own against you guys (or anyone on these boards), But he is by all accounts also a man who practices good game selection and hitting the road here is the money play.

By contrast, you young internet studs like poker challenges too much and lock horns frequently with tough opponents...I say that admiringly.
Old 09-26-2005, 03:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
b. In about another 20 minutes, David would have figured out that this was not such a great game and would have hit the road. I say that not in a manner condescending to David. I am sure he can more than hold his own against you guys (or anyone on these boards), But he is by all accounts also a man who practices good game selection and hitting the road here is the money play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good read sir. He did just that. And said "enjoy my two hundred dollars guys" as he walked away.
Old 09-26-2005, 03:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good read sir. He did just that. And said "enjoy my two hundred dollars guys" as he walked away.

[/ QUOTE ]

At what point did you guys mention that you knew him?
Old 09-26-2005, 03:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Never.

I started a 150/300 holdem interest list and schneids got on the list. Sklansky arrived and joined the list shortly after. I was sitting playing 80/160 when he walked by. I asked him "how many players would you start a game with?" and he looked at me like "wtf are you talking to me for?" and I repeated myself and he coldly said 3 and walked away.

When he was in the 80 game he had a young black woman sitting behind him who he was explaining poker too. I thought that was interesting.

I introduced myself to him when I was there perhaps 6 months ago and he was cold and said "oh i don't really pay attention to people's names in the forum." Maybe just wasn't his day, who knows. Either way I know he doesn't give a [censored] who I am so meh.

I gotta give it to mason though, He went to the bellagio buffet with me, schneids and a friend 6 months ago and let us bounce stuff off him. That was cool.
Old 09-26-2005, 03:15 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Never.

I started a 150/300 holdem interest list and schneids got on the list. Sklansky arrived and joined the list shortly after. I was sitting playing 80/160 when he walked by. I asked him "how many players would you start a game with?" and he looked at me like "wtf are you talking to me for what?" and I repeated myself and he coldly said 3 and walked away.

When he was in the 80 game he had a young black woman sitting behind him who he was explaining poker too. I thought that was interesting.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sklansky = Thomas Jefferson?
Old 09-26-2005, 03:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Never.

I started a 150/300 holdem interest list and schneids got on the list. Sklansky arrived and joined the list shortly after. I was sitting playing 80/160 when he walked by. I asked him "how many players would you start a game with?" and he looked at me like "wtf are you talking to me for what?" and I repeated myself and he coldly said 3 and walked away.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sklansky = Thomas Jefferson?

[/ QUOTE ]

there are sooooo mnay ways i could go here, but i will leave it alone.
Old 09-26-2005, 03:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

At least strange. Maybe its phil iveys wife, from what I hear shes been getting busted up at .5-1 online and wants to improve [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

-blake
Old 09-26-2005, 03:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
a young black woman

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting, indeed!
Old 09-26-2005, 03:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
a young black woman

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting, indeed!

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought somebody would comment on that. It just isn't quite what I personally would have expected. Meh. Whether you think it's an integral part of the story doesn't matter. We don't yet live in a world where people don't think like that. Maybe I'm not helping the problem...but meh.
Old 09-26-2005, 03:35 AM

David has KK QQ or AA