Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2005, 10:03 PM

Default Re: Another reason I hate kickers...

Fat-ass Sebass Janiko has now cost the Raiders two games.
Old 09-25-2005, 10:04 PM

As a Packers fan, I'm not all that thrilled with Ryan Longwell at the moment.

Also, I'm not very thrilled with our offensive line, our running game, our secondary, Mike Sherman, and a half a million other things, including the officials' AWFUL blown call on that fumble inside TB's 20 today that we would've scored on had they not blown the play dead.

To blame today's loss on Longwell isn't a smart idea. Just admit it - we're not a very good NFL team this year.

Thank goodness for the Badgers [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-25-2005, 10:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thank goodness for the Badgers

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-25-2005, 10:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As a Packers fan, I'm not all that thrilled with Ryan Longwell at the moment.

Also, I'm not very thrilled with our offensive line, our running game, our secondary, Mike Sherman, and a half a million other things, including the officials' AWFUL blown call on that fumble inside TB's 20 today that we would've scored on had they not blown the play dead.

To blame today's loss on Longwell isn't a smart idea. Just admit it - we're not a very good NFL team this year.

Thank goodness for the Badgers [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not blaming the loss on Longwell. There were a ton of things that we coudln't do today. I just get frustrated with his inability to kickoff deep and as of late, his inability to kick 40+ yard field goals and I don't to top it off, I hate when kickers miss PATs because they're profesionals.
Old 09-25-2005, 11:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ryan Longwell.

Is it me, or has there been an abnormal amount of missed PATs this year?

[/ QUOTE ]

I bet you couldn't make a 20-yard FG with a brand new ball and 11 angry men wanting blood running at you.

Now...as a kicker myself (yes, I admit it), no, its not good for kickers to miss PATs, at any level. However, its not the end of the world either. No kicker is perfect over the long run, and sometimes bad things just happen. There's been an abnormal amount for this early in the season, but hey, it happens.

Also...HAHA, the Packers. One of the few teams I, as a Vikings fan (after a Colts fan) get to laugh at. Too bad Fav-ruh's gonna have to end his career with such a crappy team around him.
Old 09-25-2005, 11:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ryan Longwell.

[/ QUOTE ]

I bet you couldn't make a 20-yard FG with a brand new ball and 11 angry men wanting blood running at you.

[/ QUOTE ]

But, I'm not making a million dollars a year based on my skill.
Old 09-25-2005, 11:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ryan Longwell.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Neither are most of them.

Also, do the words "job security" mean anything to you? I know this is something most people don't think about, but kicker is the ONLY position where you can go from having the best job in the world to NO JOB in the matter of a bad DAY at work. Most of these guys, with the exception of guys like Vinatieri, Elam and Vanderjagt, are making league minimum and are just hoping to keep their jobs from week to week. Nobody in a "real" job would be able to deal with that pressure.
Old 09-26-2005, 12:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ryan Longwell.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Also, do the words "job security" mean anything to you? I know this is something most people don't think about, but kicker is the ONLY position where you can go from having the best job in the world to NO JOB in the matter of a bad DAY at work. Most of these guys, with the exception of guys like Vinatieri, Elam and Vanderjagt, are making league minimum and are just hoping to keep their jobs from week to week. Nobody in a "real" job would be able to deal with that pressure.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://asp.usatoday.com/sports/footb...er=Salary+desc

there were 12 kickers who made more than a million dollars last year.
Old 09-26-2005, 12:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]

there were 12 kickers who made more than a million dollars last year.

[/ QUOTE ]

True enough looking at total salary, which is based on incentives and signing bonuses. Taken from standard base salary, only 4 did. Joe Nedney, Adam Vinatieri, Jeff Wilkins, and Ryan Longwell. All have been with the same team all their careers (to my knowledge) and have established themselves as some of the top guys.

Look at some of the lowest paid guys though. A guy like Vanderjagt only made 535k last year. Nate Kaeding made 235k as a rookie. And once again, there is ZERO job security.

Also, 12 kickers, even when you take your TOTAL salary with signing bonuses and incentives, made over $1M. 32 teams. I said "most kickers aren't making $1M". Which was true.

I've talked to guys like Matt Bryant (currently with Tampa Bay) and Rodney Williams (punter, currently out of work, formerly of NYG and Seattle for like a week) at some camps I've been to. The first thing they talk about is the fact that its the greatest job on earth. The second thing they talk about is that if they're not always the best, its gone just like that.

Like I said too, I'm not disagreeing with what you said about missing PAT's, I'm just saying that way too many people come down waaaaaaaay too hard on us kickers without knowing what's up in the business.
Old 09-26-2005, 01:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ryan Longwell.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Spare us the violin routine for guys making more mid to upper six figures with six figure pensions. Most people would die to have the ability and chance that those guys do. Pressure or no.