Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2005, 05:41 PM

Default Re: Starting Hand Theory

dom, here are a few of yao king's #'s (i stress his because he gives you the cards and the %'s, and his book is very, very good).

in early position (assume the first 3 - i forgot but i think so). also, i can't remember what type of game he is talking about but my sense is typical. fairly loose, fairly passive.

first in: play 7.5% of hands
limper already: play 9.4% of hands
raise already: play 3.8% of hands

obviously, your actually play rate would depend on play of other players, but note these are all under 10% so your average will under 10%. very few raises and you'll be around 8%... but still, this is throw away tons and tons of hands.

"play" = either call or raise (obviously he's clear on each hand).... first in and raise already is heavily weighted towards raising yourself, and limper already is weighted towwards you limping... the % of
Old 09-27-2005, 04:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you have to mix up your game and take some risks with lesser hands based on implied odds. otherwise you will quickly be identified as a rock.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true if your opponents are paying attention. Otherwise, deception just costs you money.
Old 09-27-2005, 11:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Would I be right in assuming that in the hypothetical situation where everybody can see everybody elses cards that my reasoning would be correct?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. If everyone can see everyone else's cards, you should play either the best hand at the table, or any hand that has proper odds to draw out when taking the existing pot size into account. The whole "top X% of hands" part becomes meaningless.