Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2005, 06:58 AM

Default Re: Why is putting people on tilt wrong/unethical?

It's wrong for them, and unethical to let a sucker keep his money.
Old 09-21-2005, 08:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've put people on tilt by giving them a bad beat, )

[/ QUOTE ]

This is clearly wrong, you are supposed to be in the hand with the best of it, not sucking out.

[ QUOTE ]
talking to much to other players

[/ QUOTE ]

this is just rude and being rude at the poker table is -EV. Most fish are there to have a good time and if they aren't having fun, they leave or tighten up.

yes, you might get someone on tilt to donate all his chips but you still have to catch cards to get his money. Your share of what He titls away pales in cmparasion to what you lose when the other eight people at the table tighten up or leave and get replaced by better players.

Unless you need to put people on tilt to make you feel better about yourself, this is absolutely -EV behavior.

You can work out the morality on your own, but this definetely costs you money in the long term.
Old 09-21-2005, 08:58 AM

You are right, but the real question is do you feel guilty that your shirt was designed to subconsciously put people on tilt? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-21-2005, 09:45 AM

Why is putting people on tilt wrong/unethical?

it's not, it's just annoying.
Old 09-21-2005, 10:57 AM

I'm rapidly finding out that people have very different definitions of what "tilt" is. I'm also finding that people are bringing TONS of their own emotional baggage into these tilt threads. No wonder steam control is so diffcult for people to learn.
Old 09-21-2005, 11:40 AM

My sister-in-law bought it for me for my birthday and I think it is really funny that you guys believe I wear it out in public on a regular basis.

The power of "The Shirt" should not be abused or overused.
Old 09-21-2005, 12:11 PM

You're sitting around a table with 8 or 9 other people for several hours. The situation calls for congeniality. If you can't or won't be congenial, then be silent. If you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything. Play your cards as hard and as tough and as relentlessly as you like. Say please and thank you when talking to other people. Treat others as you would want to be treated.

This is what I have told my children.
Old 09-21-2005, 12:16 PM

I don't think it's wrong per se, but a lot of people use "i'm just trying to put my opponent on tilt" as an excuse to act like a total prick at the poker table.
Old 09-21-2005, 01:14 PM

If it requires a significantly -EV play to be made several times in order for you to do this, then it is wrong, and you know why.
Old 09-21-2005, 03:27 PM

I was thinking further about this, and here's the problem with the "tilt people to gain an edge" theory, at least at low-to-middle limits:

In my experience, the vast majority of people who try this are doing it to people who are already bad players. This is extremely EV-. You don't want bad players to tighten up or leave. They're already freely donating their money, so what will this accomplish?

I rarely see someone trying to tilt a good player, and I see even fewer attempts actually succeed.

That said, there is ONE type of player I will actively try and tilt: The player who is trying to tilt or otherwise whine at someone else. I find they're very susceptible. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]