Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2005, 11:44 PM

Default Re: Hand Reading - MLG Style, Today\'s WPT 10K at Borgata

I'm putting you on 10/10, A/K - A/10s and him on A/K - A/10 likely suited diamonds. Although I've never seen your play, I have trouble putting you on 6s. I also can't put him on 10s or As because I think he would have re-raised your turn raise with a set.

As a tightish player, my starting range for your opponent is a strong A (A/K - A/J possibly suited) and AA - 10s. His flop bet is consistent with this, however, once he calls your raise on the turn, I have to narrow down his range a bit to - A/K, A/Q, A/10 likely suited diamonds. I think his river call is a crying call with any of these hands too (but I have trouble putting him on A/J because I think he would have bet out here unless he gave you credit for trip 10s).

As for you, assuming you don't have a huge VPIP, I think you can start with a similar starting hand range of strong As, Q/Q - 9/9 (A/A or K/K and you would have likely reraised PF). Your flop call doesn't tell me much, but your turn raise leads me to put you on 10/10, A/10 or a strong A suited diamonds. Your river bet looks like a value bet to me with trip 10s or two pair.

cumbersome, but an interesting exercise. of course, all my speculations are based on the assumption that neither of you are donking off chips here with crap but have legitimate hands.

ts-
Old 09-20-2005, 12:11 AM

I think Hero A-10, villain A-K or A-Q.
Old 09-20-2005, 12:15 AM

u gots 66
he gots AQ
Old 09-20-2005, 12:24 AM

This is hard to do without knowing how you play better.

BUT, heres my thoughts. Your play reeks of TT, 66, which is why I don't think you have TT or 66. I think you called the flop with KQ of diamonds, with the intention of bluffing the turn, or re-evaluating if he bet out again. You wanted to make him think you flopped a set- and you still had a lot of outs, which is why you min raised. On the river you figured he had AK and you wanted to get decent value out of it, so you only bet 2000. He made a crying call with AK.

I suppose this isn't standard, but that's my guess.
Old 09-20-2005, 12:31 AM

Villian most likely AK/AQ, possibly AJ although I'd say unlikely. You probably have I'd say either a set of 6's, or possibly ATs or AJ, although KQ of diamonds I guess is also a possibility. I'd be surprised if you had less than 2 pair against this type of player.
Old 09-20-2005, 02:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
u gots 66
he gots AQ

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-20-2005, 03:35 PM

Default Results

Well, I had AK - and I didn't think he would check AJ on the river as he seemed straight-forward (he didn't check-raise at all in 4 hours) so I put him on AQ and figured he would call a smallish river bet.

My opponent showed AT - for the flopped 2 pair. This hand illustrates the importance (an my lack of) thinking about what your opponent thinks you have. Obviously (now) when he bet the turn and called my raise he was telling me "I have you on AK/AQ and I can beat that".

I was a little surprised that this guy played AT with a raise from MP at this table as it didn't suit his table image, but they were soooted (clubs) and he was probably mixing up his play or hoping to win the blinds with his tightish image.
Old 09-20-2005, 04:17 PM

i'd put him on AK-AJ and you on a flopped set.

not sure what this had to do with MLG.

SD
Old 09-20-2005, 04:18 PM

I've been posting most of my hands in this double blind format.
Old 09-20-2005, 04:28 PM

You have a set, he has a big A.