Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2005, 07:42 PM

Default Re: Another KJ for TP - can I overcall with it?

[ QUOTE ]
I agree with everyone here that calling the river was correct. But what I'm trying to understand is why would you raise pre-flop with KJo? It seems a marginal hand to begin with.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a fairly good Top Pair hand that can play well HU or 3-way. It plays well against limping hands like 87s, QJs, 22, 33, etc. which were looking for multiway pots. Playing this In position is good too. I raise with it most of the time from MP1 or later when I there is 1 or no limpers yet. UTG is usually a limp or fold.
Old 09-19-2005, 07:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree with everyone here that calling the river was correct. But what I'm trying to understand is why would you raise pre-flop with KJo? It seems a marginal hand to begin with.

[/ QUOTE ]

UTG is loose and aggressive. When he just limps first in he has an inferior hand to KJ. You want to isolate this player. Now if the table is not one to cooperate then I would just limp also or possibly fold on a very aggressive table.
Old 09-19-2005, 08:34 PM

How bad is folding preflop?
Old 09-19-2005, 09:37 PM

terrible. KJ is a very good top pair hand. I agree with poster saying he wouuld have raised here. ONE limper. Plus good chance SB smelled weakness and is going with it here.

If button had raised and SB reraised, I would be worried. AK probably most likely for SB reraise. But in this scenario I would never fold on the river.

If you can't go against this board and moderate aggression with top pair good kicker then yes, maybe folding preflop would make sense. Why stay?
Old 09-19-2005, 09:44 PM

Thank you Hammer and Carmine for the insight.
Old 09-19-2005, 09:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
terrible. KJ is a very good top pair hand.

[/ QUOTE ]
Terrible??

I don't have SSHE handy but I doubt it says to play KJo in a game that has 3-5 callers PF (as we have here).

I prefer an iso-raise here, but folding isn't terrible.
Old 09-19-2005, 11:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How bad is folding preflop?

[/ QUOTE ]

bad, this must be raised PF.

I call the river. I'm pretty sure that you can beat utg, I don't know if you can beat the sb, but I think I make a crying call with the emphasis on cry. I do have a problem with getting away from TP fwiw
Old 09-20-2005, 07:41 AM

well, find your book. Folding KJo on Button with one limper... get in my game.
Old 09-20-2005, 08:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
terrible. KJ is a very good top pair hand.

[/ QUOTE ]
Terrible??

I don't have SSHE handy but I doubt it says to play KJo in a game that has 3-5 callers PF (as we have here).

I prefer an iso-raise here, but folding isn't terrible.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, the BOOK says play KJo in 3-5 game from MP and raising with KQo from late position. If you read on, you will find these are not in stone, ADJUST to your game.

one limper to you not even in CO, but on the button. Yes, I think folding here IS terrible. And I think not raising is a definite mistake, though I don't claim to know how big a mistake.
Old 09-20-2005, 09:13 AM

This hasn't been mentioned yet, so I thought I'd add it. In my view, if you plan on folding this hand you can't be calling the turn bet. When we are behind, we assign villain the following:

AK – 8 combos
KQ - 8 combos
KJ - 4 combos
AA – 6 combos
88 - 3 combos

Therefore, ~65% of the time we are drawing to 3 or less outs, which is insufficient to call the turn bet in an attempt to outdraw (Note: given the way the hand played out, obviously some hands are more/less likely. I.e. He would most probably wait for the turn to raise a set of 8s). I would decide on the turn whether villain has a weaker hand enough times to justify calling 2 BBs (the turn + river).

Accordingly, our real odds on calling down here are ~10:2, which means we need to be good around ~17% of the time. I would probably still call down, depending on villain's ability to 3-bet the flop with a weaker hand.

EDIT: You may call the turn and fold the river if villain will typically slow down on the river with weaker hands.