Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2005, 02:52 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)
Default Re: How Much Would I Have To Make?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If your goal is eventually to get a job, then get a job. If it's not, then don't worry about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is sound advice. on a side note, there will ALWAYS be a good game.

[/ QUOTE ]

not online there won't
Old 09-19-2005, 02:52 AM

I guess it depends on you. In my case, I find it hard to play that many hours per week and I think if I didn't have a job I would play about the same amount as I do now, except that I would spend the rest of the week sitting around the house being really bored rather than doing a job and making some money. If you think that you would be giving up a lot of income by not playing full time, then yeah, it's a different story, but I think there are a lot of people who are going to make more over the course of a year by essentially having two jobs.
Old 09-19-2005, 02:55 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

[ QUOTE ]
I guess it depends on you. In my case, I find it hard to play that many hours per week and I think if I didn't have a job I would play about the same amount as I do now, except that I would spend the rest of the week sitting around the house being really bored rather than doing a job and making some money. If you think that you would be giving up a lot of income by not playing full time, then yeah, it's a different story, but I think there are a lot of people who are going to make more over the course of a year by essentially having two jobs.

[/ QUOTE ]

there is some danger that I won't play enough hours. I had 2 weeks off work in August when I decided I'd do nothing but play poker. I wanted to log 100 hours in 17 days. I ended up playing about 30 hours. but that's why I asked the question of how much. I know how much I COULD make, but I would actually make about half that I think. if I can figure out a number then I can figure out my chances of making that.
Old 09-19-2005, 02:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If your goal is eventually to get a job, then get a job. If it's not, then don't worry about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

not online there won't

[/ QUOTE ]
says who? i didnt say there will always be an insanely soft game... correct me if im wrong but, wouldnt you say youre a great player?
Old 09-19-2005, 03:00 AM

Do you enjoy playing poker? If you went pro would you be able to play 30ish hours a week? If not, go to school or get a job and play on the side.

I read in another post that you make $300 an hour playing poker (if I am incorrect I am sorry) I think it is too hard to pass that type of money up.

Ok, here is a anecdote that might help you a bit. A friend of my quit did not play football his senior year of high school. He wanted to join a fire fighting program to help him get on the fast track. It was helpful and he is further ahead than he would have been if he played football his senior year, but not by that much. Looking back he realized he missed out on an opprotunity do something really fun. What I am saying is pretty much, you will have 40+ years to be in the straight world and do all that. You're a talented poker player who has a chance to do something really fun and exciting with his life while he is still young.

I don't know if that is helpful, maybe something to think about at least.
Old 09-19-2005, 03:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

not online there won't

[/ QUOTE ]
says who? i didnt say there will always be an insanely soft game... correct me if im wrong but, wouldnt you say youre a great player?

[/ QUOTE ]

well what happens when a good bot becomes available? I can't imagine it'll be worth playing when it gets to that point.
Old 09-19-2005, 03:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I wanted to log 100 hours in 17 days. I ended up playing about 30 hours.

[/ QUOTE ]
And playing heavily for 17 days is much easier than playing heavily for two years. This is why I would go with the job. If you are a machine who is going to be able to play 50 hours a week for years, then you have a decision to make. But if you are just going to end up playing twenty hours a week, you might as well take the job because you can play around that much on the side anyway and the job is a freeroll.
Old 09-19-2005, 03:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

not online there won't

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

well what happens when a good bot becomes available? I can't imagine it'll be worth playing when it gets to that point.

[/ QUOTE ]

youre not part of the illuminati? youre screwed.
Old 09-19-2005, 03:04 AM

Online poker is just the current hip method for people who don't want traditional jobs to make their living. If it goes away, it will be replaced by another. And there are always unhip methods.

It's not as if everyone was a wage-slave, and then poker came along and changed the world.
Old 09-19-2005, 03:08 AM

about the bots.....

bots are not a real threat to online poker. Youre an intelligent guy, think about how dumb and unresourceful people are...(id wager that 3/4 of 2+2 users dont make money at poker, nor could attain said bots). also think about how poker sites will do everything they can to protect their insane incomes.