Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2005, 08:43 PM

Default Re: How to Fux0r Complete Information (I suppose this is \"No Content\")

If he needed time, then calling time was correct. I have seen players look to their right, notice the moron on their right is not paying attention, and act out of turn on purpose. I have then, in those same hands, seen dealers rake cards in of those who were not paying attention. This usually causes a big argument with everyone. Of course it is the players job to protect his hand, and a good way to do that is to ask the dealer for time.

I was in a tournament one time with "Bob" where everytime it was Bob'sturn he would him and haw and take 2 minutes to make a decision. It was a home tourney, so everytime the action got to this guy and he did not act immediately, I would pushh all-in out of turn. No matter whether I was next to act or 3 players between us to act. That usually made his decision for him, he would fold. Action would get around to me and I would say, "If Bob folded, then I guess I'll fold/call/raise/push" whatever the correct action was.

Needless to say Bob caught on, and sped up his play. Also the whole table thought I was nutty.
Old 09-18-2005, 08:50 PM

Default Re: How to Fux0r Complete Information (I suppose this is \"No Content\")

Did you stare him down too?
Old 09-18-2005, 09:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
dude, you called for time at exposed your hand in a 20/40 LIMIT game? that's lame.

[/ QUOTE ]

It made sense for this particular instance. You had to see what had been happening for the previous five hours. I'm not going to defend my position further; it was the right move (or at very worst, only slightly wrong) in this case.

And I needed to call time so I could wait a few moments before asking Villain if he would show one card. Also, calling time prevents the dealer from mucking my hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm genuinely curious as to why you thought this was correct.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was going to either call the turn and call any river or fold the turn.

I didn't like either option.

I was looking for a way to simply call the turn.

I found it.

That's the long and short of it, anyway.
Old 09-18-2005, 09:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Villain wouldn't raise KJo or AJ here? Are you serious? (Not being facetious; I'm generally curious about why villain wouldn't raise KJ after one limper here).

Rob

[/ QUOTE ]

He wouldn't show me a Jack if he had AJ (remember, he can see my AK). And he wasn't the type of player to raise KJo after one limper.

[/ QUOTE ]

I missed the part where you exposed your hand because I couldn't imagine anyone doing that in a limit game. My reading comprehension sucks sometimes. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-18-2005, 09:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Did you stare him down too?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ha ha ha plop.

I'm not a WSOP wannabee. I actually figured this was the best way to proceed with this hand.

Against many players, they'd just be annoyed if I pulled something like this. But Villain had previously offered such things as "HU Best Hand Wins Preflop" and "Check it all the way" and "Let's each show one card."

FWIW, I didn't even look at him during the hand. I just wanted to see if I had four outs (because he flopped a set) or more (AQ, 88, KQ, JJ, etc.). If he refused to reveal a card, I would have assumed he had a set and folded. (Of course, he may refuse to reveal a card because he only has AJo, but I just didn't think he'd play that hand this way.)
Old 09-18-2005, 09:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I [can't] imagine anyone [exposing cards] in a limit game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Basically, if the pot is small, it's HU, I think my opponent can play this particular hand better than I can, and I think he'll show me one card if I show him two, I'll make this move. I've done it twice in my life and both times I've found it useful. I'm sure I'll do it again in the future.
Old 09-18-2005, 10:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Commerce 20/40, 9-handed

Hero has A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] on the button.

2 folds, 1 limper, 2 folds, CO raises, Hero 3-bets, folds around to CO who calls.

Flop (HU, 8 sb): Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate it when that happens..........

[ QUOTE ]
CO bets, Hero calls

[/ QUOTE ]

I raise to get a free card or find out just how bad I'm sitting sooner.

[ QUOTE ]
Turn (HU, 5 bb): 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

CO bets, Hero...

...hesitates for a while considering that Villain is a tight, aggressive, and tricky player. Hero turns his hand face up and asks for time. After a brief while, Hero asks Villain to show Hero one card. Villain turns over J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Hero decides that Villain has JJ or JK. JK isn't likely unless it's precisely J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], since Villain wouldn't preflop raise here with KJo. Probably. Anyhow, Hero puts Villain on JJ. Hero is aware that there are 6 bb in the pot and that his outs against JJ are the three aces, the two jacks, and the three kings. Hero has 8 happy cards and 36 sad cards. 36:8 > 6:1. Hero calls.

River is a jack.

Villain shows JJ. Hero wins.

Hero realizes that Hero is an idiot.

Against JJ, the three kings are NOT outs. They make Villain a straight. This was the reason Villain showed Hero the Jack: Villain wanted Hero to fold instead of chase!

Hero was actually only getting 39:5 on his call. 7.8:1 < 6:1. Hero should fold.

Even when Hero has complete information, he sucks. No wonder I'm not a grandmaster at chess. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

A Grandmaster at chess!! I'm 1546......good to meet you....
And your real name is:
Old 09-18-2005, 10:00 PM

did it at any point occur to you that you lose the river bet 100% of the time you expose your hand and hit the j? but have something of implied odds if he has JJ and you can gain a bet on the river...this does indeed offset some of the cost of drawing dead/slim

Barron
Old 09-18-2005, 10:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
did it at any point occur to you that you lose the river bet 100% of the time you expose your hand and hit the j? but have something of implied odds if he has JJ and you can gain a bet on the river...this does indeed offset some of the cost of drawing dead/slim

Barron

[/ QUOTE ]

It certainly occurred to me. I also knew with nearly 100% probability that he would check/FOLD if he rivered a set. If I bet the rivered Jack when checked to, he'd put me on AK (nuts), KK (still good), or QQ (also good). My lack of a flop raise pretty much told him that I didn't flop a set, have AA, or AQ. He knows I'm not 3-betting preflop with a hand other than AK, AQ, or AA-TT. Maybe 99 or 88. Or AJs.

So, I sacrificed something in implied odds, but not nearly as much as you think.
Old 09-18-2005, 10:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
No wonder I'm not a grandmaster at chess. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

A Grandmaster at chess!! I'm 1546......good to meet you....
And your real name is:

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh, I'm not a Grandmaster at chess. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]