Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2005, 06:23 PM

Default Re: AKs level 1 $22

I don't know what buy-ins you play, but I play the $11 and $22s and there are PLENTY of people who would limp call a raise to 70 with A9, maybe even K9. You cannot get these people to fold. As far as your advice to push goes, I think this is a close second to folding. The correct play probably depends on the OP's ability to play a shortstack and comeback. There is still plenty of time. I think that if you knew that the villian had a Q and not a 9, then this would be a push.

Also, why is the K not an out? Are you putting villian on specifically KQ? Anyway, I think he may have a 9, and the push fold decision should center on the OP's thoughts on the ability to come back with 500 chips as well as the potential effect wielding a big stack could have for him this early.
Old 09-16-2005, 06:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
** Dealing Flop ** [ 9c, Qs, 9s ]
Translucity checks...

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I understand folding to the raise on the flop, but you don't think I should lead the flop at all? Do you never bet AK on the flop unless you hit an A or K? Surely my Ace high is worth something. I have a great draw and it is very likely that I still have the best hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

with the nut flush draw, i often like to check in this spot and react to what villain does. if he checks, i get a free card on an ackward flop. if he bets small, i can call to see the turn cheaply. if he bets moderately, i may pop in a reraise all-in. if he bets too strongly on the flop after i check, i fold.
Old 09-16-2005, 06:27 PM

I don't think you are wrong. I like to take the lead on a flop like this as well, it's just that the stacks are so short in this format that there is not a lot of room for postflop maneuvering. Also, having committed that many chips to the pot, it feels incredibly weak to me to fold, although if you push you are definitely gambling. I like this play a lot more on deeper stacked sites. On 800 chip stacks, you just have to play more conservatively. One thing I sometimes do level 1 with AK is to limp and try to surprise someone if I flop a monster. Just a thought. Mostly a raise is good though. Variation play.
Old 09-16-2005, 06:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You're still almost certainly behind, and I very much doubt that your K or A are live outs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, let's put together a range of hands for villian.

Behind

99- Most unlikely hand, probability wise and with his flop raise.

AA/KK/QQ- very unlikely, given preflop action but we still have 9 outs.

AQ- eh, you don't see AQ limped all that much in 22s, but it's possible. That gives us 12 outs (with him having a couple of redraws if we make our hand on the turn)

A9- I don't see him putting in a big raise on the flop, but it's possible. In this case we have 9 outs.

KQ- I think this is the most likely hand. Fits both preflop and flop play. In this case, we have 12 outs.

Ahead

JT- Donks love JT. It's favored over 22!!!!111 Anyway, once in awhile you'll see someone make this play with JT, but it's pretty uncommon from my 22s experience. He has 10-12 outs, depending on if he has spades or not. We have redraws against anything but the sf.

2 spades- eh, I don't think you see a raise that isn't a push with 2 spades here. Either way, he's crushed if he has this hand, but I think it's pretty unlikely.

66-JJ- Possible. Looks like the flop didn't hit you and he wants to take a stab. We have a lot of outs, he has a couple redraws to the boat.

A bluff attempting to pwn your c-bet- Again, possible but somewhat unlikely.

I'm fairly bad at assigning probabilities to holdings, but as you see, there are several cases where both the A and K are outs, and not many where neither are outs.