Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2005, 04:50 PM

Default Re: Need some thoughts about grinding/moving up

I have always been a firm believer in having a solid number of hands before moving up. I do this because I want to be sure I am a winner in the game and make sure I am properly bankrolled for the next level. I set these "rules" back when I started playing online for the 2nd time, after I lost my first roll when I first started playing online with no concept of WR, SD or bankroll. I use the formula to determine my WR with a 95% confidence, and make sure I am happy with that interval, and then move up. I spent WAY too much time at 2/4NL, mainly because I was happy making more than $100/hr and the game selection for 3/6NL wasn't very good. But I finally made the jump, and then made another one to 5/10 after about 60k hands. I know I probably have cost myself $ by not moving up earlier (mainly from 2/4NL), but that was mostly due to game selection, and then when I move to 5/10, there are hardly any games available (other than 6max). FWIW, I think that a good # of hands is 60k (if you have a std. dev of 37.5 PTBB/100, then after 62.5k hands you can be 95% sure that your WR is equal to your PT WR +/- 3PTBB/100).

For the people that quote WR after 20k hands or say that 20k is enough to determine WR... I was ~14PTBB/100 after 18k hands at my last level after running hot (my WR after 65k hands is just under half that) and I'm ~2.5PTBB/100 over 18k hands at my current level after running into ridiculous beats.
Old 09-14-2005, 05:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
$100/hr I have trouble believing that I'll be satisfied after staying at this level for 200,000 hands even though that's a comfy $200k/yr

[/ QUOTE ]

2000hr/year?

I tip my cap to you, bc I would have already killed myself.

god, im still hoping hit to 1k hrs for the year.
Old 09-14-2005, 05:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
$100/h at 2/4 NL is 25BB/hour, which must be extremely good? I think I make about $100/hour playing NL 5/10, though I may be wrong.

jake

[/ QUOTE ]

That's my "TRUE WIN RATE" according to PT. It's my "hourly wage" so to speak. If I only played one table, it would be more like $42 or whatever. But since my MT ratio is 3+ my hourly rate increases, see?
Old 09-14-2005, 05:20 PM

I play a fkin ton of poker. It does wear on me sometimes like right now where I feel like posting and not playing. It'll probably be like 1700 or so in reality. I was just throwing $'s out there. I make $44,000 at my JOB so anything more than is nice...$150k or $200k is just sick sick sick to me. That's another reason why it's nice to be at 400 now making this kinda cake.
Old 09-14-2005, 05:21 PM

i play in this game sometimes. youre prob the best regular in the 2/4 game ive played against... this isnt really saying much, as i dont have that much experience and everyone in that game is HORRIBLE, but you can beat 5/10 on party for sure. its basically about the roll. you seem to be playing constantly, and im assuming youre young bc your handle is kinda dumb, so im guessing youre ready (BR wise) to be playing 5/10 as your regular game. go for it.
Old 09-14-2005, 05:22 PM

I'm gonna hafta pull out my SD #'s and toy with Homer's equations later on.
Old 09-14-2005, 05:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you have the gambool?

[/ QUOTE ]

I LOOOOVVEEE to gamboooooool. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-14-2005, 05:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
youre prob the best regular in the 2/4 game ive played against...your handle is kinda dumb

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks I think [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

BTW, you think my old handle is dumb you should see my new one. It REEEEKS of stupidity.
Old 09-14-2005, 05:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
youre prob the best regular in the 2/4 game ive played against...your handle is kinda dumb

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks I think [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]just "thanks, sir." will be fine... haha.
seriously, no fear. 5/10.
Old 09-14-2005, 10:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
nd im assuming youre young bc your handle is kinda dumb,

[/ QUOTE ]

in a non-sarcastic way, i really enjoy your posts, flawless