Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2005, 12:01 PM

Default Re: $100k in \'05 (brag and commentary)

[ QUOTE ]
But, I think many posters are still sometimes too dismissive of contrary views. 2+2 dogma isn't always right; the fact it has evolved over time is proof of that. Contrary views are therefore critical not only because they're sometimes right, but because even if they aren't, we can often learn from the discussions they trigger. Plus, oftentimes the people who make the absolute statements aren't nearly as right as they think they are. In the last few months I've been definitively told a dozen times that if I play the way I suggest "I'll get run over." They seem to be wrong. But my point is that we can't learn from contrary views unless we take them seriously and address them respectfully, with a thoughtful explanation. The mid-high forum is much better about this than it was a year ago, but I still see the one-liner "this is wrong" stuff sometimes. This is much more common in the HU/SH forum and the posters who do it often don't have things quite right, IMHO. Plus there are many posters there who get pissed if you so much as suggest that they might've played a hand differently. Not particularly conducive to learning or improving, but I get the sense that that's not the reason some of the posters in HU/SH post.

[/ QUOTE ]

thank you. thank you. thank you. thank you. etc.
Old 09-14-2005, 12:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How much do u think your winrate would change if u played for example 25% instead of 30%?

I have always had a hard time thinking it is those last 5% that is the difference between, lets say, 2BB/100 and 3BB/100. Then we should only make 2BB/100 with our first 25% and 1BB/100 with worst and pretty marginal hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good question. You're probably right. But at the same time too many people ignore Mason's essay on this subject which advocates playing more hands against lesser opponents. Think of it this way: 1BB/100 is really just one bad bet or call (let alone raise) by one of your opponents in maybe 80 minutes of 6max play (one table). You can count on many of the 10/20 6max players to make LOTS of BIG mistakes; you want to be in the hand to be the recipient of their charity. Obviously this can only be pushed so far. And the same approach doesn't work in the Party 30/60 games where the players are by and large pretty good. But so far I'm finding that 30 is about right for my game in the 10/20 6max.
Old 09-14-2005, 12:29 PM

Nice work. I recently started playing the 10/20SH and have played several sessions with you. Your winrate is pretty impressive, so I've been looking over some of your hands. The first thing I noticed is that you are very aggressive in certain situations.

I hope you don't mind that I've posted two such situations below. I wonder if these are typical plays, or if you had specific reads (that differed from mine, apparently) that led you to play so aggressively.

Hand 1:

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter

Preflop: Hock_ is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB caps</font>, Button calls, SB calls.

Flop: (12 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, BB calls, Button calls.

Turn: (10.50 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

River: (16.50 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB folds, Button calls.

Final Pot: 18.50 BB

Hand 2:

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hock_ is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, MP calls.

Flop: (12.50 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, MP folds, <font color="#CC3333">CO 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB caps</font>, UTG folds, CO calls.

Turn: (11.25 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO caps</font>, BB calls.

River: (19.25 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, BB calls.

Final Pot: 21.25 BB
Old 09-14-2005, 12:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Think of it this way: 1BB/100 is really just one bad bet or call (let alone raise) by one of your opponents in maybe 80 minutes of 6max play (one table)

[/ QUOTE ]

The magnitude of a bad bet,raise, or call (in terms of EV, which BB/100 is measuring) is almost never 1BB. It is some fraction of 1 BB. Usually a small fraction.
Old 09-14-2005, 01:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Nice work. I recently started playing the 10/20SH and have played several sessions with you. Your winrate is pretty impressive, so I've been looking over some of your hands. The first thing I noticed is that you are very aggressive in certain situations.

I hope you don't mind that I've posted two such situations below. I wonder if these are typical plays, or if you had specific reads (that differed from mine, apparently) that led you to play so aggressively.

Hand 1:

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter

Preflop: Hock_ is Button with A, T.
2 folds, Button raises, SB 3-bets, BB caps, Button calls, SB calls.

Flop: (12 SB) 9, Q, K (3 players)
SB checks, BB bets, Button raises, SB 3-bets, BB calls, Button calls.

Turn: (10.50 BB) J (3 players)
SB bets, BB calls, Button raises, SB calls, BB calls.

River: (16.50 BB) 2 (3 players)
SB bets, BB folds, Button calls.

Final Pot: 18.50 BB

Hand 2:

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hock_ is CO with A, A.
UTG calls, MP raises, CO 3-bets, 2 folds, BB calls, UTG calls, MP calls.

Flop: (12.50 SB) Q, 9, K (4 players)
BB bets, UTG raises, MP folds, CO 3-bets, BB caps, UTG folds, CO calls.

Turn: (11.25 BB) A (2 players)
BB bets, CO raises, BB 3-bets, CO caps, BB calls.

River: (19.25 BB) 5 (2 players)
BB checks, CO bets, BB calls.

Final Pot: 21.25 BB

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting. I don't remember the hands, so I don't know what my reads were, but both look ok to me. In fact, I quite like how I played both of them, assuming I was up against players who are more aggressive than average.

The flop raise in hand 1 is particularly interesting, I think. I'd encourage others to discuss that one play before I weigh in.
Old 09-14-2005, 01:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The flop raise in hand 1 is particularly interesting, I think.

[/ QUOTE ]

It looks like you are trying to buy outs in a spot that is really really bad for buying outs. I can't think of any other reason to make that move.

Krishan

Actually I can't figure out what you are doing.
Old 09-14-2005, 01:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Interesting. I don't remember the hands, so I don't know what my reads were, but both look ok to me. In fact, I quite like how I played both of them, assuming I was up against players who are more aggressive than average.

[/ QUOTE ]

I check behind the river in hand 1, given the board and the action, its gotta be JT or a flush (both are hands people will call fromthe BB with) much much more than a 2 pair or a set of 9s no?
Old 09-14-2005, 01:18 PM

hand 1 looks like tilt to me [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 09-14-2005, 01:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I check behind the river in hand 1, given the board and the action, its gotta be JT or a flush (both are hands people will call fromthe BB with) much much more than a 2 pair or a set of 9s no?

[/ QUOTE ]

If that's your read then hero shouldn't cap the turn.

Surf
Old 09-14-2005, 01:25 PM

I've got a easy question about Hand 1. Do you routinely cap in this situation? If you're not capping with any hand there that you've raised from the button, can you tell me where you draw the line and how?