Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2005, 08:36 AM

Default Re: Paradise Masters Bubble Hand vs Gigabet

It wasn't me who played this hand (DE was playing on my account after the third break)... but there are a lot of reasons to raise here (more than the normal being aggressive on the bubble). First, I assume that I know more about Giga than he knows about me (which may be less true than I thought originally, based on the results). With that information, I know he is capable of making big plays near the bubble, making it possible to scoop a big pot with less than the nuts. I also have position...and finally its my opinion that challenging myself against good players in these spots is how to get better. Frankly, its more fun to play against Giga here than it is against most other players! Hence, this discussion.

I agreed with DE's play on the hand when he told me about it this morning...

[ QUOTE ]
I probably wouldn't be raising Giga's blind, really, because he can pull stuff like this.

But I call, I really think you are ahead here. You've shown nothing but weakness postflop and he feels you are not committed to the hand, and could very well be bluffing.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-14-2005, 08:47 AM

I think you just have to call here. When an aggressive player is running over the table, you can't sit there and wait for a monster before you're willing to take him on; that's exactly the attitude he's counting on, as he rakes in pot after pot.
Old 09-14-2005, 09:05 AM

I'd hate being in this spot. Improving on the turn to top pair when it's an ace is both a blessing and a curse, as he could easily have aces up. If it was me, I raise the turn and see what he does. This way you might not have to commit yourself on the river if you get reraised.
Old 09-14-2005, 09:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you just have to call here. When an aggressive player is running over the table, you can't sit there and wait for a monster before you're willing to take him on; that's exactly the attitude he's counting on, as he rakes in pot after pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would agree with your post 100%, if not for the fact that there is just a few spots to the money.

If the post were reworded to indicate that the Hero was already in the money, then yeah, maybe this is good a time as any to take a shot.

But to risk going from what 15th(?) and a decent shot at a nice score, to completely out of the money, without a high degree of certainty, nope I can't buy it.

It is possible that the Villain is thinking one level higher. That is, Villain thinks that Hero thinks that Villain could be on a bluff, but in actuality Villain is betting for value with something like AJ, A9 or A3, or even a set. And, if Hero folds, then Villain still takes down a decent pot and if Hero calls, then Villain is likely to become the chip leader.

Just a thought ....
Old 09-14-2005, 09:27 AM

I beat Gigabet into the pot, for the reasons given in the OP, billyjex's post, and Gigabet's own posts.

And then I will type "are you f'n kidding me, the one time you have something..."

Gigabet's Shania is so wide here that you must call, even though he has you beaten sometimes.
Old 09-14-2005, 09:35 AM

Hi, I'm just starting to study MTT/NL stuff. Is it so impossible to raise his turn bet?
Old 09-14-2005, 09:47 AM

This is no easy call that is for certain. Beating Gigabet into the pot here would be pretty wreckless without giving some thought about the logic behind his move. DE has just smooth called a strong bet on the turn. Gigabet has got to be putting him onm an ace here. I dont know gigabet as well as the posters here but I would put him on J9/A3 in this spot and fold. Gigabet would probably know that Nordberg is a knowledgable enough player to know that he can pull off a big move here and could be taking advantage of his own image against the one player at the table who might call him.
Old 09-14-2005, 09:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is no easy call that is for certain. Beating Gigabet into the pot here would be pretty wreckless without giving some thought about the logic behind his move. DE has just smooth called a strong bet on the turn. Gigabet has got to be putting him onm an ace here. I dont know gigabet as well as the posters here but I would put him on J9/A3 in this spot and fold. Gigabet would probably know that Nordberg is a knowledgable enough player to know that he can pull off a big move here and could be taking advantage of his own image against the one player at the table who might call him.

[/ QUOTE ]

But Gigabet knows that Norberg knows that Gigabet is aware of his image, thus this is a good spot for Gigabet to bluff.
Old 09-14-2005, 10:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But Gigabet knows that Norberg knows that Gigabet is aware of his image, thus this is a good spot for Gigabet to bluff.

[/ QUOTE ]

You could be right. Like I said I don't know Gigabet but I think its the reverse. I cant see him betting both turn and river with a hand that loses to AT.
Old 09-14-2005, 10:10 AM

I call here because I think he is bluffing here enough for the call to be profitable. The board is really not that scary at all. He puts you all in as I think he is putting u on a weak Ace and since ur not some fish and will think things through, you will probably put him on a strong ace. The way the hand has played out and how he is running the table over, I can't see not calling but then again I'm a fish. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]