Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2005, 04:01 PM

Default Re: Thoughts on how man hours we log...

Quote:
Quote:
A lot of us play poker so that we don't have to work 40 hour weeks.
This is true, but seriously, if you played 40 hours a week for the next 5 years, you would probably be able to retire like 2 DECADES earlier factoring in interest, etc...
bump for emphasis. nicely put.
Old 09-13-2005, 04:10 PM

Thanks Stox, it really just hit me the other day how exaggerated this myth about people's mental threashholds could potentially be. I should also note to schneids, since you are a full time student, playing more than 30 hours a week would be pretty insane. I like to enjoy myself during the summers as well, and i consider my social life to be pretty active, but i still think there was more rrom than i allowed for poker during last summer.

This post was really inspired by a combination of things. First of all, i recently started college and am trying to implement some doable but ambitious goals. Secondly, as i have moved upin stakes, i begin to realize just how muvh EV i give up by "taking it little easier on myself since i work so hard anyway." I always remember telling my parents, you're lucky i make $100/hour at 5-10, because if i was beating higher limits there is no way i could force myself to go to school right now. Now that i am, i realized there is basically no chance of me not going to school, so i just hae to tr to balance both of them with a social life. I'm trying to get in more hours that i would have originally thought possible. (I'm going for 20/week)

Anyway, of course this is all just conjectures on my part. Everyone should be able to assess their own situation and do what's best for them. In no way am i saying people should be playing more, but i did want to introduce the idea that although it's a widespread belief that a pro poker player should only work 20-25 hours/week, that isn't neccesarily true.

Gabe
Old 09-13-2005, 04:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There was a thread about this a few weeks ago, and i want to say i think that it's definitly possible that the consensus in these forums about how many hours people can consistently multi-table could be wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

I 4-table 40hrs a week. It isn't that tough...if youre running well. When you're running well hands tend to play themselves and loggging a bunch of hours is pretty simple. It's running bad where every decision is difficult that is very fatiguing.

I don't love playing all these hours but as a newlywed looking to buy a nice house and start a family in the next coule years, now isn't exactly the time to be lazy. Also, when I think about the alternative of being in an office with a boss playing a bunch of poker doesn't seem so bad.

___1___
Old 09-13-2005, 05:26 PM

I agree, and like you said, the money you make now will affect your lifestyle a lot in the future.
Old 09-13-2005, 07:56 PM

It does seem strange but I think part of the reason is that an of poker hour is much more draining than an hour of work at a normal job because we are concentrating practically every second, and they are not. So it is natural that we play less than people work in terms of hours.

I had one month recently where I played 35 hr/wk. But the two following months I played less than my previous average hr/wk because I couldn't force myself to play much after that. I guess I was feeling slightly burned out and needed to slow down to regain energy and interest.
Old 09-13-2005, 11:36 PM

Honestly, this summer it was all about opportunity cost. Sure I could make $100-$150/hr playing poker, but seeing friends & family for the first time in a year, and my g/f consistently for the first time in a year were both worth way more to me than extra spending $.

Now that summer's over I've got heaps of free time - but the waves have been spectacular! While this is awesome, it also means I surf between 3 and 7 hours a day depending on conditions. Even so I've been logging 3-4 hours a day 7days a week no problem - if the waves died down I imagine 6+ hr days would be totally do-able.

Surf
Old 09-14-2005, 12:34 AM

I'm 20, finishing school next semester, and am going to play full-time for at least a few years, passing on an opportunity to perhaps take over the family business. There were two factors that made this decision clear for me- The Party 30 is a great game right now, and there may never be an easier game in terms of hourly expectation for the number of tables I play. Earning money now is worth so much more than earning money in 10 years. Even if my lifetime non-investment earnings would be greater if I chose the business world, my overall income will be higher by earning alot now by being able to invest early in my life with very few expenses... compounding interest blah blah blah, as opposed to earning and being forced to spend in my early years.

Perhaps this doesn't offer value to anyone, but I guess the point for me is I know what I want financially, and my long-term goals will help me put in the hours here. Call me crazy, but my goal for my first year is 1 million hands, playing 10 tables 32 hours a week.

Second point- This all kinda of came together once I met my now-serious girlfriend. I think this adds motivation and makes running poorly infinitely easier to handle.
Old 09-14-2005, 12:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm 20, finishing school next semester, and am going to play full-time for at least a few years, passing on an opportunity to perhaps take over the family business. There were two factors that made this decision clear for me- The Party 30 is a great game right now, and there may never be an easier game in terms of hourly expectation for the number of tables I play. Earning money now is worth so much more than earning money in 10 years. Even if my lifetime non-investment earnings would be greater if I chose the business world, my overall income will be higher by earning alot now by being able to invest early in my life with very few expenses... compounding interest blah blah blah, as opposed to earning and being forced to spend in my early years.

Perhaps this doesn't offer value to anyone, but I guess the point for me is I know what I want financially, and my long-term goals will help me put in the hours here. Call me crazy, but my goal for my first year is 1 million hands, playing 10 tables 32 hours a week.

Second point- This all kinda of came together once I met my now-serious girlfriend. I think this adds motivation and makes running poorly infinitely easier to handle.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll call you crazy. Granted im sick so my head is sucked, but i just ran those ambitious numbers and they dont quite hit a million if you take 0 days off for the whole year. 500k hands will make a lot of money in that game anyway [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-14-2005, 01:09 PM

When my sessions are over 2 hours I average over 630 hands x 32 hours a week= 20160 hands a week x 50 weeks + 2 weeks vacation. Likely? Well maybe not. I'd rather set my sights high and fail then shoot for 500k hands and be content with that.
Old 09-14-2005, 02:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're 10 tabling the 30, or plan on it?

Last night most tables had average VPIP's of high teens, low 20's. Not what I'd call a great game.

How do you even find the time to pick good tables (not that there are very many) while 10 tabling?

Nigel