Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2005, 10:38 AM

Default Re: 11 things to help pull out of a downswing...

(12) Stop looking at your bankroll every 2nd minute.

When u are running bad u start to think about your Big Bets that are your working tool at the table as if they really were real $. When Im running bad I never buyin for the normal amount, I buy in for anywhere between 25-35BB because I dont want to know if I am up or down. I also try to never sit with less money then normal buyin at table because I want to act strong since I am pretty weak.

Table selection: Chose tables with no LAG because LAG will smell your weakness before u do it yourself.

(6) Tighten up postflop: This advice maybe is ok if u were running bad last session and nobody at table knows this and u dont feel to bad about your game. But if u keep on running bad and are down at the table u sit at I am not sure. When u run bad people (even the weakest ones) take shoots at u so u actually have to play looser postflop and tighter preflop to take advantage of this.
Old 09-12-2005, 10:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Doing this lowers variance, and increases your expected BB/100 at the expence of your hourly earn since table selection take time out of your playing.

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesn't, doesn't, doesn't, doesn't lower variance.

It just seems like that because your EV is much higher. Variance is measured as the deviation from your EV. However, most people's intuitive understanding of variance is deviation from 0.

So you will have less losing sessions, but you will still have the same variation from your EV.

[/ QUOTE ]

I mean don't mean you will have a lower standard deviation. I mean you are more likely to have a winning session. Even if my terminology is incorrect, the concept is clearly correct.

Krishan
Old 09-12-2005, 10:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've had good results picking tables with 1BB/player in the average pot (i.e. $12 pot at 1/2 6-max), although I'm sure that would decrease at the higher limits. I find more loose passive players and therefore more people limping into the pot with crap. If I go for the table with the highest pot, it's usually got too many maniacs for my liking. That's the sort that I want to avoid on a downswing/tilt.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is excatly what Mason Malmuth writes in one of his essays about table selection and its good advice. Looking for biggest pot is bad in many ways.
Old 09-12-2005, 10:43 AM

13. Leave a table if you start by losing more than 10-15-20BB (depending on how juicy it is). Dont stay and try to win it back, do that somewhere else.
Old 09-12-2005, 10:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
IMHO there are no tables where a VPIP of 21 is optimal -- considerably too low.

[/ QUOTE ]
Not to hijack this into a VPIP debate, but your humble opinion is wrong.
Old 09-12-2005, 10:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]

1. Play less tables.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did that, and was told by a player i respect that it sucked. i like the idea of tightening up. it may decrease your EV for a while, but it will likely keep you out of some marginal spots when your judgement may be less than stellar. imo the biggest way to overcome a downswing is to stop losing with sets.
Old 09-12-2005, 10:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

1. Play less tables.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did that, and was told by a player i respect that it sucked. i like the idea of tightening up. it may decrease your EV for a while, but it will likely keep you out of some marginal spots when your judgement may be less than stellar. imo the biggest way to overcome a downswing is to stop losing with sets.

[/ QUOTE ]

These aren't ordered and for the record, I haven't played less than 4 tables of anything for the past year. (Maybe 5/10 when I first moved up) But it's good advice for ABC multitablers. You also tend to learn more playing fewer tables but concentrating at a higher level. I've tossed the idea of playing 2 tables 1 day a week once I'm pro just to try and learn to play better.

Krishan
Old 09-12-2005, 11:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I love absolute and conclusory statements like this -- ever so helpful.

But since I'm running about 3.5 BB/100 over 30k+ hands at 10/20 6max I'm going to keep my VPIP right about 28-29. Thanks.
Old 09-12-2005, 11:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But since I'm running about 3.5 BB/100 over 30k+ hands at 10/20 6max I'm going to keep my VPIP right about 28-29. Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your insignificant sample size clearly proves your claim as much as RDH's blanket statement. Unfortunately, his blanket statement is backed up by years of excellent players winning at steady, high rates with 21/16 stats.

Surf
Old 09-12-2005, 11:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow 30K hands. You MUST be playing optimally. I'm changing VP$IP to 29 as soon as I get home! I'm so excited.

Truthfully we see this BS all the time. 30K hands is nothing. And people pop up with win rates like this ALL THE TIME. We don't care. Come back with 100K hands.

Krishan