Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2005, 07:07 AM

Default Re: Calculating the Odds.

[ QUOTE ]
Is it even possible to have 22 outs?

KQclubs

10J2 2 clubs

could be 21 outs... I can't think of how you could get to 22 though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can only come up with 21 outs on the flop, using your example.

You hold KJ clubs and your opponent holds 5h 5d. The flop comes Tc Jc 6h with two clubs. You can now hit 4 aces, 4 nines, 3 kings, 3 queens, and 7 clubs for 21 outs total.

The most outs I can think of on the turn would be 25 and that comes from a situation where we take the same hand and board above and then drop a six on the turn.

So now the setup is:

You: Kc Qc
Opponent: 5h 5d
Board: Tc Jc 6h 6d

You can now hit four aces (4) or (4) nines for your straight. You have 8 outs at this point.

You can also hit three remaining tens (3) or jacks (3) for two overpair with top kicker. This gives you an additional six outs for 14 total.

You then can also hit (3) remaining kings or queens (3) for top two pair, top kicker. This gives you another six outs, for 20 total.

You can then hit any club that is a 2, 3, 4, 7, or 8 giving you 5 remaining outs for 25 total. You can only hit 5 as the Tc/Jc/Kc/Qc is gone, then we already have two clubs alloted to your nines and aces for outs, and either a 6c or 5c would give your opponent the winning full house.

My numbers might be off slightly, correct me if so.
Old 09-10-2005, 12:52 PM

Default Re: Calculating the Odds.

[ QUOTE ]
The last thing you want to do is calculate in your head at the table. Forget about the shortcuts and just memorize them. There really aren't that many numbers to memorize and you will know them off the top of your head in no time flat.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never found it helpful to memorize them. Fortunately 47 and 46, the number of unseen cards usually remaining in hold 'em, are close to 45 and 48 which have a lot of divisors.

So, 10 outs means 3.6 or 3.7 to 1. (46/10 is 4.6)
9 outs means a little more than 4 to 1. (45/9 is 5)
8 outs means a little less than 5 to 1. (48/8 is 6)
7 outs means a little more 5.5 to 1. (49/7 is 7)
6 outs means a little less than 7 to 1 (48/6 is 8)
5 outs means a little more than 8 to 1 (45/5 is 9)
4 outs means a little more than 10 to 1 (44/4 is 11)
3 outs means a somewhere between 14 and 15 to 1 (45/3 is 15; 48/3 is 16)

To each his own, but this works fine for me. Since implicit odds are an estimate anyway, you rarely need to calculate pot odds more precisely than this.

I'm not big on rote memorization.